1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Pete Rose documentary makes no mention of gambling, lifetime ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100706/ENT/7070318/Rose-doc-to-premiere-in-LA

Coming soon ... "O.J. Simpson: The Quest For 2,000 Yards"

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This has to be the same group that produced "The U" for 30/30

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It could run for a year in Cincy.

If the truth conflicts with the legend, print the legend. No? Then why
    do you hate America?

Yee-haw.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with a doc that focuses on the day-to-day of Rose's chase for the record. Could be fascinating.

But you've got to put in an epilogue/closing on-screen text recapping his downfall? Don't you?

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I interviewed the filmmakers a few months back. They said then, before the flick was completed it in no way was meant as an encapsulation of Rose's life. The director said the purpose of the film was to remind folks of Rose as a player, because everyone knows the rest of the story - and for the younger set, that's all they know of Rose.

I know they're marketing it as a "before the downfall" sort of thing, too, so it's not like they're ignoring the elephant in the room.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ahh yes, those golden days when a friendly manager, thinking only of the best interests of the team, kept a washed-up has-been below-replacement-value player in the starting lineup day after day after day when there were incomparably better players on the bench.

I wonder if they'll get an interview with that manager?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yep.

Reds fans are almost uniformly delusional about Pete Rose.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

To market it as a "before the downfall" thing, you've got to at least mention the downfall. Presenting the story as if none of that ever happened certainly is ignoring the elephant.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rose was a unique as a player and appealing in his way. If you love an all-out competitor, you love Pete Rose, warts and all.

As a Ray Fosse fan, I can't stand the guy.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To call the guy a habitual bettor would seem to be understating the case.

"Before the downfall"? Just when the hell WAS that? Grade school?

Come on.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I saw Pete Rose about a month ago. He was sitting on a flight I was taking back from Vegas. He looked like a fat extra for the Sopranos. He was also wearing a Reds hat, just in case you didn't recognize him.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, "Possibly before and definitely during the downfall" is hard to fit on the marquee.

Draft saved Draft deleted