1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Pearl Jam album out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They've been using "Fixer," "Got Some" and "Gonna See My Friend" on promos for a couple weeks now. Odd to hear Pearl Jam on ESPN, for sure.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I just got back from Austin earlier this week after the ACL, which PJ headlined. They put on an awesome show as usual. I've gone through this thread and come to one conclusion: That PJ is best served live.

Yes, I can listen to Yield, No Code and Binural on their own, but if you're a novice fan, you're far better off just picking up two or three live albums and not knowing what albums they come from. This serves two purposes, the first being that this band completely rocks live and you won't realize how they've changed their style in nearly 20 years. Because let's face it, "Got Some" could easily be on Vitalogy and "Indifference" could be Pearl Jam.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I, too, was at that ACL show. I wholeheartedly agree. In fact, I've been saying this for the better part of the past 15 years.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

13 shows in 11 years and they never fail to disappoint. Best show I went to is still Montreal, 2005. Although Mansfield, Mass., 2003 (third night) is right there.

5. Scouter

Scouter Member

"Unthought Known" is no joke. By far my favorite song on the new album.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Listening to a Pearl Jam album compared to seeing the band live is like watching football on a 13-inch black and white TV vs. a huge HD set.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Are you aware that the actual game is taking place below the huge HD set at Jerry's Death Star? :D

8. KevinRyan

KevinRyan New Member

Scouter, I agree with you 100 percent. Unthought Known is the gem on the album and oddly, it's the song none of the critics have mentioned.

And Got Some is that rare PJ song that sounds much better on the album than live.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more. They played it at the ACL and it absolutely rocked. They also played the Fixer and Unthought Known. To be honest, I really like the new album, but I'm also one of those fans who like pretty much anything they put out (except Bugs off Vitalogy).

The one album I didn't buy was Riot Act, but I went on Rhapsody last night and listened to it; even that has some unbelievable songs on there (Thumbing My Way, 1/2 Full).

This band is just flat out great. I wonder how they'll be remember when they're gone for good.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've been to 15 in 14 (so there ;) ).

And you're right. Every show is great, in its own special way. That's the beauty of seeing a band that mixes up the setlist like they do. I quit following the math, but at one point on this current tour they had played something like 117 unique songs in 16 shows or something. Just ridiculous. You never see the same show ... or anything close to the same show ... twice.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You speak the truth.

That Just Breathe-Amongst the Waves-Unthought Known trio is a murderer's row.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I think the best part about the band's web site is that you can click on a song and see not only the lyrics, but all the times they've played it live. Not that I go to a lot of band's sites, but how awesome is that, especially with a band that is known for its live act.

Draft saved Draft deleted