1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Pearl Jam album out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Basically.

Too bad you fell off after the grunge era. Their albums after that were just as good...dare I say, if not better.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They've had, what, nine studio albums now? I'd rank Ten about fifth or sixth out of those nine.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

fifth or sixth? now i'm intrigued. because ten is gold from start to finish.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This album had been billed (mostly favorably) as "Pearl Jam makes a happy pop record!" In the hands of a lesser lyricist/songwriter/singer, it really could have been disastrous.

Ed makes it all OK. Dude can flat put words/thoughts/ideas together.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I like Vs., Vitalogy, No Code and Yield better than Ten, for sure. A few months ago, I probably would have ranked it below some of the newer, new albums, but I've kind of re-visited Ten since the remastered re-release. That kind of rekindled my love for that album.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

My local Target had tons of CDs and even several copies of it on VINYL. Awesome. Even better: they were positioned above the Jay-Z new release.

Didn't pick it up yet but will soon.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

And select Targets are selling a Backspacer t-shirt. Sadly, none of the stores in my area have it.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The self-titled album from a few years back was excellent, too.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Remastered Ten is like hearing it for the first time - the instruments are clean and Ed doesn't sound like he's singing in a tunnel. A must-have if you even barely like it the first time around in 1991.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Listened to it for the first time on the way in this morning. Nothing yet that jumps out at me the way "World Wide Suicide", "Comatose" and "Marker In The Sand" did from the last album, but I really like "Got Some", "Supersonic", "Amongst The Waves" and "Just Breathe" which is terrific. Only clunker to me is "Johnny Guitar" which sounds like it took 10 minutes to write.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It was. I like Backspacer better. At least initially. We'll see how it holds up after a few months.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

JG is my least favorite song on the album. There's some interesting stuff going on there (the second verse, in particular, is pretty good), but not enough.

The lesson, as always: If you're going to write an entire song based on seeing a funny-looking pimp/blues player on a record cover, maybe you shouldn't.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000A5BUD/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

Draft saved Draft deleted