1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New ownership in Salt Lake

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Apr 20, 2016.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Isn't there already a thread on this?

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yes, but for some reason it's in the news section instead of over here.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Apologize for the db. But yes, last I checked this was journalism news. Musta missed the memo. ;)

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be fair, I think a major local daily being sold to strong local ownership counts as news these days.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Sorry, I reported my own thread to get it moved here since I put it on the wrong board.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Local ownership is not always the answer. Ask the folks in San Diego, Philadelphia and elsewhere. I hope it works out here.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Huntsman family will have the good sense to eventually push it into a trust.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If Digital First sold Las Vegas to Adelson and Salt Lake City to Huntsman how long will it be until Anschultz buys the Colorado properties?

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gatehouse owned Vegas, not Digital First.

Does Anschultz still want the Colorado papers? He paid a fair amount for The Oklahoman a while back.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My bad on Las Vegas. It was Gatehouse that flipped the LVRJ.

The Digital First Colorado properties cover a population area a little bigger than San Diego County and the Tribune just bought the U-T for 85 million sans real estate so presumably the Colorado properties would cost somewhere north of 100 million. But Forbes says Anschultz is worth 13.5 billion. If Anschultz wants the Post and assorted Colorado properties he will be able to easily afford it.

12. Johnny Prose

Johnny Prose New Member

The Huntsman family has always been a big positive factor for the local community. This is just another example. Overall, this should be great for the Trib. In all honesty, it couldn't be worse given their previous situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted