1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New OT law and the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's absolute bullshit, but not surprising in this horrible business. To the beancounters, it's no different than randomly instituting, then canceling, unpaid weeks off to meet the whims of a quarterly budget.

Someday — hopefully soon — when you call out your boss on this type of move, he won't be able to say "I've got a stack full of resumes."

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Of course the bosses expect employees to continue to work 70-hour weeks without OT.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

So your company screwed you by not giving you the raise when the law was blocked. And my company was going to implement a plan that could have potentially cheated us out of pay if it had been allowed to go into effect.

I'd have been in favor of the law had the ways to cheat it (as suggested on the Department of Labor's website, from what I was told) not been presented as an option for employers. But I knew our company was going to find a way to use it to their advantage.

I am presently looking to get the fuck out of here, regardless.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Put in your 40 hours a week and leave. When they want you to stay longer, remind them that they rescinded your raise and that you are no longer working for free when you should be working for an extra $8,000.

apeman33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted