1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Saints Bounty Program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 2, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Excellent.

The Saints should have doubled the bounties for outdoor games, maybe their players wouldn't have curled up.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/new-orleans-saints-had-bounty-system-that-paid-for-injuring-opponents-nfl-announces/2012/03/02/gIQAPNDDnR_blog.html

The Washington Post cites four Redskins players who played for Gregg Williams saying he used a bounty system there, too.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What are the chances Williams lasts the night before the Rams fire him?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He and Jeff Fisher are old buddies, so I don't know that it will be that swift. Probably bounced before long, though.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Does a player injured by a bounty paid Saints player have a right to sue?

Edit: Could this be also considered a criminal manner?

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't understand how anyone doesn't think this is a big deal. Wow. Just wow.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The bounty is a very old NFL idea. Doesn't mean it's right, doesn't mean this isn't a big deal. Just that it's old.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I would think you would have to prove that the play that injured you went beyond the norms of a traditional NFL play and that there was clear intent to injure. That seems like a pretty high bar to reach, but I would defer to the more legally-knowledgable people here.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's one of those old things one would've hoped would've gone by the boards a generation ago.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Could the payment of employees to injure others be defined as a criminal conspiracy?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The commissioner in olden days didn't have the emphasis on player safety/health like the current commissioner does.

Williams is toast.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

Does Payton get off scot-free? He has a pretty strong hand on that team, from everything I've read and heard. He obviously knew about and condoned these bounties.

If Loomis goes, does Payton have to go? If Williams isn't fired, he has at least be punished, too, right? If they hammer the Saints, then it's not right that Williams can go to St. Louis and be out of harm's way.

Draft saved Draft deleted