1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Saints Bounty Program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 2, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Charles Martin approves.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Define "huge." You mean fines, suspensions and forfeited draft choices? Or are they gonna take away their Super Bowl trophy?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

How much did the Saints offensive players get for injuring their own coach?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They don't even have a first round pick this year, pretty sure the Spygate Patriots have it. Heh.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think the NFL penalties as you list them will exceed the Patriots Spygate punishments by a factor of magnitude. Additionally, there will be a number of firings.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No way, not the classy New Orleans Saints.

The funny thing about this is their coach himself was on crutches half the season.

7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

As a USC alum, somehow I blame Reggie Bush.

And yeah, I think this the punishment is going to be larger than Spygate. One involved gaining a competitive advantage; the other involved paying bonuses for injuring players. In today's post-post-concussion world, that's putting yourself right in the NFL's crosshairs.

The only thing that might save the Saints is that the owner had specifically said that it needed to stop but the GM kept going with it. If they make Loomis the scapegoat and can him (and Payton does an impressive job of showing "contrition" for not being more vigilant about it) they might be able to skate with relatively smaller punishment.

I would imagine that tape of every injury to a Saints opponent in the last few years is being looked at to see if there's any proof of it being maliciously/people getting giant bags with dollar signs on it when they come off the field.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hard to believe this program was in effect for the 49ers game.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Everything except injuring an opponent does not suprise me.

You are crossing a pretty big line if you are trying to disable and take away another player's livelihood. Knocking out cold? No biggie. They will be back in a few weeks. Going after a knee? That will end a career, and I would be surprised if many teams are doing that.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What saves the Saints is everyone else doing it.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I believe the commish can fine up to 500,000, and then assess whatever punishment he wants in addition.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It won't save them any more than the same reasoning 'saved' the Patriots.

Draft saved Draft deleted