1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans returning to daily publication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, May 12, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, but if reporting staff is cut to the bone — and/or experienced writers and photogs are forced out — people won't read the online reporting, either. Ask the Ann Arbor News how that worked out.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

One aspect of this that I rarely see mentioned is that it seems like most --- if not all -- the management types come up through the advertising/circulation departments. Seems to be very few high-level execs who ever were actual news people.

As a result, I think many don't have respect for the product that was present a generation ago. It's more of the "just make deadline and don't do anything to get us sued" mentality. The only time they seem to give two whits about content is if it wins some sort of contest to boost the reputation. No one wants to invest in content. It's easier and more profitable to hire a stringer at $50 per story because that fills the newshole just as well.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I suppose that's true, but if that's the case you'd think some of them have some kind of business sense. Like they see where the money comes from, you'd think they could come up with a plan that does something on the revenue side rather than just slashing costs.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The bad thing is when the management comes through advertising and sales ranks but has zero idea about a newsroom dynamic and doesn't care about it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My point exactly. And I'm seeing more and more of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted