1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans radio/TV sportscaster booked with 2nd-degree murder of ex-wife

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by occasionally, Sep 7, 2006.

1. occasionally

occasionally Member

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Wasn't this guy a "story" in the biz a few years back, got into something with somebody, or was some kind of homer, or ...

I have to say I don't have a clue, but it seems to me his name has been out there in a sports media sense sometime in the past.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let's see -- list of things to do after murdering my wife.

* Throw murder weapon into Gulf of Mexico -- check
    * Paint my bike red to match the blood stains -- check
    * Rip up and burn note of things to do after murdering my wife -- GODDAMN IT!!!

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

But isn't this the second media person in the area in as many months charged with some sort of crime?

5. I think a Times-Picayune photog attempted a "suicide by cop" a few months ago.

6. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i don't know if another media person was charged with murder, but a times-picayune photographer tried 'suicide by cop' in august. i don't know if that's what you are talking about. but there are plenty of interesting mental health stories out there about people affected by the hurricane.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

If he went to the trouble of donning a fake moustache, checked to make sure he had a properly working firearm, bought a certain type of bullets and also had a to-do list, how in the hell does that not qualify as premeditated/first-degree murder?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i was thinking of the LSU writer who got busted for something.

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I think this is the guy you're talking about, William Kalec....
    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/eastjefferson/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1155196908327410.xml&coll=1
    Looks like dude is pretty much fired. Hasn't written since his arrest, and they've had Ted Lewis help out Jim Kleinpeter on the beat.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It seems like they have a lot of other evidence against this guy, but the alibi may check out. That game in Jackson was not very well-run -- there were two gates for 60,000 people -- and lots of fans either got into the stadium after it started or gave up after waiting in the rain for two hours. Traffic was also a nightmare, so getting there after the kickoff if he was driving up from New Orleans (about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive) doesn't mean much. It was quite the story in these parts for a couple weeks.

That said, it doesn't sound like this guy was a rocket scientist. Did he get home, take off his fake mustache and killin' clothes, wash up and go, "Hmmm....there was something else I was supposed to do. What was it? Eh, I'm sure I'll remember later."?
    I mean, how in the hell do you make a murder checklist and forget to throw the thing away? And did he try to hide it among his other chores on the list?
    Step 1: Buy fake mustache
    Step 2: Pick up dry cleaning
    Step 3: Call wife to check in
    Step 4: Call witness, make sure gun works
    Step 5: Get gas
    Step 6: Ambush wife at work, shoot her in head
    Step 7: Get a pizza for dinner

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Didn't he ever watch the "Billionaire Boys Club" mini series? That's how they got Joe Hunt (played by master thespian Judd Nelson).

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There was a radio personality in Mid-Missouri arrested for suspicion of poisening his wife to death when they lived in Boston. He had been trying to get her life insurance money, and then they arrested him for second degree murder (I think).

Draft saved Draft deleted