1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival ... Anybody going?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Del_B_Vista, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Heard some of the Jimmy Buffett show there tonight. I also saw Cowboy Mouth in concert a few years ago. I like their songs, and they were lots of fun that night.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I actually wound up going to the Hornets game instead of a bar -- someone in the Hornets media relations office left me a free ticket at will call. Good stuff. We just got back from some dive bar, Bridge Lounge, I think it was, where the bartenders were drunker than any of the customers. Sadly I'll miss tomorrow's fun because I have to fly home.

I'll be back next year, though, if not before then. I love this city more every time I visit.

3. For those of us not there, WWOZ streams on the internet, and they carry live performances from a lot of the smaller stages. A lot of the performers drop by to chat, too. Dr. John did two hours on Thursday.
    http://www.wwoz.org/

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I went to Cooter Brown's *last* Friday for the Hornets game. Then wound up at the Dragon's Den.

I echo your comment on Stevie Wonder. As the T-P critic rightly noted, he crammed an hour show into 120 minutes. And I also agree on Trombone Shorty. By far the best show I saw in my two days at JazzFest this year. Spectacular. I'm going to pick up the live recording.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I downloaded his 2007 show last night and will do the same with Friday's as soon as it's available. I hate that I'm leaving today because it's absolutely gorgeous here.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This year's lineup announced: http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You dig up a five year old thread instead of just starting a new one?

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Looks like me and Mrs. Albert are going both Sundays. She really wants to see Clapton the first Sunday (and I'm hoping the North Mississippi All-Stars aren't playing the same time), and I really want to see the Radiators on the final day. I'm trying to talk my brother into coming over from Houston for one of those days.

As for the percieved negatives, if you're well-prepared (i.e. plenty of sunscreen, sturdy shoes, a good hat and lightweight clothes) you should be fine.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Crawfish bread.

All I got.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll go if I can. I've been to maybe four of the last seven - always second weekend because of having to cover the NFL draft on the first.

I feel like I should see Springsteen at least once in my life, but I'm not a big fan and the crowd will be enormous. When Pearl Jam played a few years ago, my friends and I were at least 75 yards away from the stage, meaning we basically just watched on the big monitors. Not an ideal situation.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, same scenario when I saw Ray Charles in 2000 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted