1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans: Come for the food, stay for the murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 9, 2007.

1. I'm pretty familiar with New Orleans. I have family and friends there.

I wouldn't let the crime statistics scare me off from visiting there, especially if I was sticking with the main tourists areas - French Quarter, downtown riverfront, Garden District, Superdome/New Orleans Arena, Audubon Park/Tulane area.

Looking at that map, most of the murders are concentrated in, well, areas that are known as 'hoods. They're not areas that tourists would normally go.

There are some tourist areas that if you wander too far, it's not exactly safe. (For example, some of the areas a few blocks away from the Superdome/New Orleans Arena.) But I'd think most people at hotels or working in the tourism industry would warn you about that.

As someone alluded to earlier in the thread, for a few months after Katrina at least, a lot of the murders were due to various drug gang turf wars as they tried to re-establish their territories.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

But I thought the Saints saved the city?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The sarcasm about the Saints is well taken, but the more serious answer is that city was beyond "saving" before Katrina hit. It's just a question of how bad it is going to get.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hence the decision not to rebuild in areas that was home to the poorest and most criminal producing elements.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's Bush's fault.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Personally, I thought the Hornets saved the city.

7. He was busy that weekend.

[​IMG]

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We've gone down this road, before.

When Florida gets hit, white-glove service.

When it's Louisiana . . . yawn.

Sickening.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I kinda dig the presidential seal on the guitar.

Not quite "This machine kills fascists," though.

[​IMG]

10. heyabbott

As true as that is, it still doesn't excuse or explain why the murder rate in New Orleans is out of control and why local government can't do it's simple job of law enforcement.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The most corrupt major-metro police force in the country is a big reason.

That, hand in hand with a "benign neglect" attitude towards certain neighborhoods, speaks volumes.

And, yes, I've spent a good deal of time, there.

12. heyabbott

As much as I believe George Bush and his evil master Dick Cheney are the proximate cause of the collapse of America, the people of New Orleans have it within their control to NOT KILL EACH OTHER. Their choices exacerbate a bad situation into a calamity.

Draft saved Draft deleted