1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans/Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wallace, May 17, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend eating oysters when it's this hot, but that's just me. Acme is excellent, though.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Take that streetcar that's crawlin uptown to the Camellia Grill for a late-night, six-egg omelette...start with a visit to Tulane's pretty campus and Audobon Park/Zoo/Aquarium across the street...

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought that place was pretty good, but I guess my expectations were too high. Not great. Not anywhere near bad. Solid. Isn't that where the Man vs. Food guy ate like 15 dozen once?

Might sound crazy, but as good as ACME is, or claims to be, I had better oysters in Virginia Beach.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I did the upstairs Gallatoire's thing instead of waiting for the downstairs. I probably missed on some atmosphere and people-watching, but the food made up for it.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

While you're in BR, eat some crawfish and drink a belly full of cheap beer. You'll fit right in.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understood. You do what you can. Greatest restaurant show in town
    is Friday afternoon, downstairs . . . people pitch camp, run their lives
    on their cels and BlackBerrys, and don't leave.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . not to mention that the First Church of Butter never fails.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

King Cake from Randazzo's Bakery. Thank me later.

And dang, Snake, you want the guy to have to take out a second mortgage?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Went to New Orleans last night. It's still there, Wallace. Just making sure for ya.

10. Wallace

Wallace Guest

Taking off tomorrow...any last minute advice?

Forecast for our two-day outdoor concert - 95 degrees, 75% humidity, thunderstorms.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Drink plenty of water and wear a hat. That 75 percent humidity, especially if there's any kind of sun, will absolutely suck the life out of you. If you get a thunderstorm and it doesn't clear away the humidity it'll only be worse.
    Oh, and when you go to New Orleans make sure you're aware of your proximity to either Jax Brewery or the Riverwalk at all times. Even if you don't park at either one, they have the only public restrooms in the Quarter you can use without buying something.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's a good tip. Some of the bars on Bourbon Street actually have security guards posted by the restrooms, who will make you show them the beer (or whatever) you just bought before they'll let you use them.

Draft saved Draft deleted