1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Orleans awarded Super Bowl XLVII

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 19, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't see this anywhere, nor did I see a current NFL thread, soooo... The Big Easy gets its first Super Bowl in a decade, in 2013. I honestly wasn't sure we'd see this without a brand new stadium (even though the Dome will pretty much be completely rebuilt by then).
    I just wonder how many Katrina stories we'll see in the run-up to it.

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/05/new_orleans_is_awarded_the_sup.html

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Probably a few, but hopefully by that point they'll be about how the city has rebuilt, and is thriving again.

As it is, New Orleans is always a good location.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Good news for the N.O. Happy for everyone there.

4. gotta love any stadium you can walk to from the SB hotels

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They could have made better use of the millions they are spending to renovate the Superdome. Like renovate the rest of the city, perhaps.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What is that, Canal Street that runs from the Dome into the city? That's probably a good 20-minute walk, right?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

No, the Dome is on Poydras, which is about 5-6 blocks uptown from Canal Street. There are several hotels in the immediate vicinity of the Superdome, including one that is actually attached to the Dome complex (used to be a Hyatt, not sure what it is now), which is usually the SB HQ. And a 20-minute walk from the hotels on Canal really isn't bad. If you're a tourist in N.O., you're going to be doing a lot of walking anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. It's been a couple years since I've been down there.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought that Hyatt attached to the Dome never reopened after Katrina.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This is from wikipedia:

The structure received heavy damage during Hurricane Katrina in August 2005 and has been shuttered ever since. The hotel owners, Chicago-based Strategic Hotels and Resorts Inc., along with other investors announced in early 2006 to redevelop the area around the Superdome (including the adjacent hotel) into a performance art park called the "National Jazz Center." The plan, designed in concept by Pritzker Award winning architect, Thom Mayne was later abandoned.

On February 20, 2009, an article by the Times-Picayune stated that the State Bond Commission approved $225 million in special low-cost bonds to help renovate the Hyatt Regency. Commission files indicate that developers would like to start construction this spring and open then hotel in March 2011.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The next four years will have to be a hell of a lot better than the last four in that regard.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

albert speaks the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted