1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New NYT Sports Columnist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 3, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Who is the client?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

DraftKings, I believe.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

DFS site employees do well on other sites because they are the people who understand and can execute the advanced strategies that make consistent winners. There is still no example of an employee using access to one site's lineups to play on another site.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So an investigation funded by DraftKings cleared DraftKings of wrongdoing?

5. Dick Whitman

There have been 11 class-action lawsuits filed against DraftKings based upon this. I can't imagine that a major league law firm and former federal prosecutor would be willing to put their names to a conclusion that is going to get disproven in discovery.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Dick, you're coming across as incredibly naive. The fact that employees of either one of these companies are allowed to participate in DFS games, even outside ones, is a huge red flag. Just think it through a little bit. These are two Internet start-ups that burst onto the scene from out of nowhere, so it doesn't take much of a leap to think that maybe the people coding/marketing/accounting from the beginning haven't been making six-figure salaries and wouldn't see the harm in using their knowledge of their own platform to create programs for gaming the other platform, particularly before the two companies really exploded onto the scene and achieved their current level of scrutiny. As DQ points out, where do you think they got the code, or a least the statistical models that serve of its foundation, for these software programs they are running? And do you really think the two companies haven't at some point during their formative years employ a handful of slapdicks who wouldn't think twice about trading information with another handful of slapdicks from the other site if it meant the possibility of a big payday? These ivy league silicon valley motherfuckers are ruthless, and I can only imagine the segment of that sample that would find a gambling start-up attractive.

Personally, the only way I would give a shit is if it eliminates the advertising, because I can't even watch television anymore. Otherwise, I'll waste my time worrying about people getting ripped off in worse ways than plopping 100 bucks into a internet site, because i'm sure most of the people are like me and assumed that money was gone as soon as they deposited it and, besides, consider it a fucking bill from the rest of us for having to listen to you talk about your fantasy team.

At the same time, Dick, your trying to argue against something that is nearly self-evidential: human nature is to push the rules as far as they'll go without breaking, and when there are no rules to break, well. . .

Songbird likes this.
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Some people you just can't reach.

8. Dick Whitman

Great. Sounds scandalous. Pulitzer in the bag for whoever wants to go after it. I'd love to see the New York Times dig some of this up. If I were in a position to do it myself, I would go after it, too. But it's easier to just continue to be a moral scold, to the point of re-assigning a business columnist to the sports page to, presumably, moralize about DFS.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If daily fantasy disappears tomorrow, you think they're switching him back to the business section? No way.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Nocera wrote for the Op-Ed page, not the business section (although he frequently wrote about business).

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

He blasted the NCAA several times.

Draft saved Draft deleted