1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New NYT Sports Columnist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 3, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'd be stunned if most of them write the code. I'm assuming most of them simply buy it or acquire it. Even if you want to quibble with me about whether it's technically cheating, they're at the very least gaming the system. There's nothing legally wrong with that, but if you aren't one of those players, you have no chance of being successful over the long haul. You can't study hard enough to beat them.

None of that changes my point that DraftKings and FanDuel have earned a long look from the NYT and other credible news organizations. It's not a "weird war" as you put it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is Theo Epstein cheating? Is Theo Epstein "gaming the system"?

3. bigpern23

4. bigpern23

What does Theo Epstein have to do with it? Is he playing DFS?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The hours of code, and hundreds of lineups.... that is certainly not the impression of how to win based on the commercials.

Its real guys... like you and me... throwing together a lineup, and hitting it big.

Songbird and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

So you don't think that, were the company lying, the big boy law firm and former United States Attorney partner who led the investigation would call them on it?

7. Dick Whitman

Why is it cheating to use software to win fantasy sports, but not to win real sports?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm shocked, shocked to find that there's a mismatch between the commercials and the reality!

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This sounds like cheating in the same way counting cards at blackjack is cheating.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, if the big winners were actually taking money from the companies (instead of just the pigeons), the companies wouldn't stand for it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. bigpern23

As I said, the article is behind a paywall, so I don't know the details.

It just struck me that the lead is that "DraftKings says ..." not "big boy law firm and former United States Attorney partner who led the investigation says ..."

If you don't mind PMing me a copy/paste of the article, I'd be interested to read it.

12. Dick Whitman

Right. The law firm isn't going to violate attorney-client privilege and release the report. The privilege belongs to the company to waive.

Draft saved Draft deleted