1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New NYT Sports Columnist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lcjjdnh, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not what BigPern23 is referring to, I don't think, and certainly not what I'm referring to.

And it's inaccurate that people with insider information - which he didn't have, by the way - are the only ones winning.

2. Dick Whitman

That's not cheating.

I don't think this is the case.

Of course they are. That's what "run[ning] lineup optimization software that allows them to play hundreds of games with enough variation to virtually guarantee victory" is.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Whence came this optimization software? Did they click their Eccos together three times and say "There's nothing like a pigeon, there's nothing like a pigeon"?

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There has been no direct proof that employees with knowledge of the players' lineups for their site have been using that information to play on other sites. There is some circumstantial evidence that it may occur, but nobody has provided a single example of it happening.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So we don't think the dude who accidentally leaked player ownership info was using that information? He just happened to have won $350,000 on FanDuel because he studied harder? Are we expected to believe that?

6. Dick Whitman

This has been investigated. His lineup was locked before he had the information. It was independently investigated by a major law firm.

Yes, kind of. It's his life. He studies this stuff incessantly. Someone has to win the $350,000, or whatever the big prize is, in any given pool. It's not surprising that it's the guy who makes his living following fantasy sports and fantasy sports strategies.

Also: We know he won $350,000. We don't know how much he's dumped into it and lost.

7. bigpern23

I was referring to that, as well as the lineup optimization software.

8. Dick Whitman

I don't understand how lineup optimization software is "cheating." Didn't they write the code? You can write the code, too, and get free money, if it doesn't take hard work or intelligence to do so. Is Theo Epstein cheating, too? Is Dayton Moore cheating? Is Bill Belichick cheating? (OK, scratch that last one.)

You're talking to a board here in which 3/4 of the members seemingly still don't believe that sabermetrics are predictive, and that reflects, I imagine, the public at large's opinion. It's not cheating to take advantage of such stupidity.

9. bigpern23

10. bigpern23

I haven't seen that report. Can you link it?

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It's not just their war DW.

N.J. lawmaker wants to regulate fantasy sports

12. Dick Whitman

Draft saved Draft deleted