1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New NCAA Rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Here we go.

The 2 day meetings have yielded their first outcome.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6853878/ncaa-committee-approves-increase-apr-cutline

Check out.... well, check out the article... but also check out the list of schools who are under the limit!

----by the way, when I first saw the headline on ESPN.com, which reads "NCAA: Low-APR out of tourney".... something tells me I'm not the only one who thought about car commercials----

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

With a phase in schedule of 3-5 years and a 4 yr. avg, I can't wait to see the NCAA really drop the hammer on Cleveland State in 2020!!

3. Yeah, only one SWAC basketball team would have been eligible. How will the NCAA Tournament survive?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure this will only open up more cheating with regard to grades. How about APR is given equal weight with RPI?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can just see the athlete-students loading up on basket-weaving classes because the coaches and the school are telling them that if they want to make the NCAAs, they have to learn what kind of patterns are best for small baskets and large baskets.

Still, I applaud the NCAA for somewhat trying. Even though I think that it's going to blow up. And I'm not sure how they're going to enforce this. Are they going to tell the schools the year beforehand that they're ineligible? Or wait until after they win the conference tourney to say ... "Sorry guys."

It'll be interesting to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted