1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new NCAA clock rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Teams leading by a touchdown or less late in the game are already getting multiple false starts (oops!) and running off extra time that way. As soon as one of the sacred cows of college football loses a game that way, the NCAA will step in and make adjustments.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, the first down thing is the obvious answer. Not sure why that wasn't considered.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The new clock rules certainly didn't stop Louisville from playing another 3:30 game.

4. Johnny Dangerously

The team I covered played a shorter game last week -- against a running team.
    This week it plays a passing team. I expect three hours and change.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why would ESPN/ABC want the game speeded up? I thought they were the reason for the longer games and they didn't think it was a problem. Most games in most sports seem to take longer these days and it's usually TV's fault.
    Maybe I have ADHD, but I don't have the time, patience or attention span to sit through a four-hour game.
    Something had to be done to move things along.

6. Johnny Dangerously

They didn't like the early game bleeding over into the time slot for the later game.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Then what they should have done was block out four hours for a game instead of 3:30.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

It's possible I'm absolutely wrong, but doesn't the rule of stopping the clock on a first down really open up games to comebacks? In the NFL you can't throw a 40-yarder over the middle if there's 15 seconds left, because by the time you get set up again the game's all but over. In college, the clock stops, so that middle of the field is open to you and you don't have to throw everything to the sidelines.

Like I say, I could be misunderstanding things, but that's why I always liked the college rule.

On a semi-related subject, the Steelers-Dolphins game showed NBC is going to make full use of the awful sequence of score TD -- commercials -- ensuing kickoff -- commercials.

9. Johnny Dangerously

True. Obviously, they had their reasons not to do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted