1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Nationals writer at WaPo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tweener, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Adam Kilgore left the Nationals beat at the Washington Post and was replaced in-house with a writer that was an intern just last year. She has covered preps since.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2014/11/19/chelsea-janes-to-cover-the-washington-nationals/

Pretty impressive rise through the ranks at one of the preeminent papers in the country. It is interesting because WaPo could have plucked a seasoned MLB reporter from elsewhere but it likely would have been expensive. Is Chelsea Janes a prodigy or is this about saving some money in Washington?

It should be noted that James Wagner, who does an excellent job, is also on the beat.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where is Adam going? Hmmm. I suppose I could read that link, eh?

Chelsea is exceptional. She was among a pool of candidates for an internship we had a few years ago. She and the woman we picked - also exceptional - were essentially equal. I believe Chelsea then went to work for the Padres' MLB.com site and then came to the Post an intern. She's done some preps and hockey for them. I think she's very good and will do well on this beat. Very happy for her. Good to see the Post is willing to reward the work she has done.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Except that link doesn't say where Adam is going.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Adam's not going anywhere. He'll be covering national stuff for the Post.

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Moddy, here's the link for Adam's new role:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2014/11/14/adam-kilgore-named-national-sports-reporter/

It is indeed wonderful to see a shop reward talented writers with in-house promotions.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nats fans have been blessed with great beat reporters. From Chico Harlan to Mark Zuckerman to Amanda Comak to Adam Kilgore. Just a great group of writers.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Not a typical kid.

She also covered the Orioles for MLB.com before joining the Post.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yale-Stanford-WaPo ... that girl's going places.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But, but... She's a girl!

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

WaPo has deeper pockets and a bigger staff. But at many papers, be careful about moving off beat for a feature job, regardless of alleged prestige. The beats are where the job security is at most papers.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Susan Slusser may throw something at you. ;)

12. On a somewhat unrelated note and as a shameless plug for APSE, I first met Chelsea at the job fair at the Chicago convention three years ago. (Note, that was a joint convention with AWSM.) And I believe that's where Matt Vita met her, too. I know it's hard to find the funds and the time, but it's another reason to invest some of both in the organization. And for people looking for work, it's proof that it pays to dust off the suit, shine the shoes and get out in front of people, whether at the summer convention or at regional meetings.

That is all, thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted