1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Music Challenge: Summer Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Ahem ...

2. Hot Fun In The Summertime -- Sly And the Family Stone.
    Do It Again -- Beach Boys.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

"Summertime" -- The Sundays

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A few more that haven't been mentioned yet....

Summer On Signal Hill - Clarence Clemmons & the Red Bank Rockers (released as a B-side to a single off his album 'Rescue')
    Summer On Signal Hill - Killer Joe (featuring Max Weinberg) - off the album Scene of the Crime
    (both songs are covers of a Springsteen-penned instrumental that was recorded for The River)

Sweet Summertime - Slaid Cleaves
    Summer Days - Bob Dylan
    You Took the Words Right Out My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) - Meatloaf (the parenthetical part of the title qualifies it)

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That last one is money all day, Joe.

I fucking love Meatloaf.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, can't believe I got here late and nobody had offered up one of the great one-hit wonder songs of the 80s: "Sausalito Summer Night" by Diesel.

In keeping with the theme (sort of), how about "I Wish I Had A Girl" by Henry Lee Summer, another great one-hit wonder of the 80s.

I don't understand all this argy bargy over "Boys Of Summer", one of my all-time fave songs. The Ataris version blows but the Henley original is Scoreboard! as JDV (who probably co-wrote it) would say.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No arguments, Huggy.

It just sucks.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I, too, have been known to enjoy some Meatloaf, but I've gotta say this is going to hurt your credibility, music-wise, specifically as it pertains to Henley-hating.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not at all. Henley can't carry Meat's proverbial jock.

Plus, the Loaf can sing.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Like I said, I enjoy the 'loaf. I'm just sayin' when you're trying to disrespect a particular musician or song, "I fucking love Meatloaf," might not be the best thing to blurt out. :D

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Meat is an under-appreciated musical genius.

There is no shame in loving the Loaf.

(And bonus points to the first person who posts, "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth")

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My contributions:

"Where's Summer B?" - Ben Folds Five

"Summer Skin" - Death Cab for Cutie

Draft saved Draft deleted