1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New mp3 player -- to iPod or not to iPod

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, May 4, 2007.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My esteemed colleagues,

Just got a new computer that I'm hooking up this weekend, a PC with Vista Premium.

At the same time, I'm in the market for a new mp3 player to replace the little 512K SanDisk I've had for a couple of years.

Before I start downloading (or transferring) my music to the new computer, I have to decided whether I want to go ahead and get me an iPod Nano or get one of the off-brands (probably a SanDisk Sansa).

So, all you iPod buffs and/or alternate mp3 users, will it be worth it for me to pay the extra money for the 4GB Nano (and probably the time spent re-ripping music), or do you think I can get by with the Sansa and the MusicMatch/Windows Media Player I've been using up until now.

Also, I've heard the iTunes doesn't work particularly well with the Vista. How big a consideration would that be?

Awaiting your advice.

P.S. BTW, I've just hit four figures in posts. Hooray!

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I loe my iPod. I know people have had problems with that and other mp3 players, but I love mine.

How much were you going to spend. My 8G one was a gift, but Id love to get the 30 or 80G one day.

And they are supposedly fixing the iTunes so it will work with vista, but I would definitely check first.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Love my iPod. I don't know anyone who has had both an iPod and an off-brand mp3 player who didn't prefer the iPod.

And they play mp3s, so unless you've been ripping stuff to an odd format like WMA there's no reason to re-rip them.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I've had an iPod, an iriver and some other thing whose brand and model I can't currently remember.

iPod wins, hands down.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

mpc, we've got both in my house, and I honestly believe neither has an edge over the other in the IPod vs. SanDisk race. Both get the job done; both have much the same features.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

iPod it up. Best thing that I've gotten in the last five years.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I have a philosophic problem with the iPod. When the battery dies, you can't change it. Seems to me that basic maintenance is something that the consumer should be allowed to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted