1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-gay views

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oy.

3. Dick Whitman

This is a straw man. You have no idea whether Perm would or would not support a hypothetical political party that, for whatever reason, supported as a member in good standing someone who held those positions. It's unlikely, I concede. But you have no idea how that would play out, a fact which you necessarily toss away in order to complete your syllogism.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was there any hint of condemnation in that statement?

What consequences will the party face for accepting members who hold this view?

If you don't hold them accountable, then what's the point? How strongly do you or Pern hold your beliefs?

We all chose to make the CEO of Mozilla our line in the sand?

Pretty easy to avoid using a fucking web browser with 15% market share, when their are three other browsers just as good, or better -- and they are all free.

Let's see some action that requires tough choices. Let's see some real sacrifice.

Best I can tell, the biggest step anyone is willing to take is to avoid a certain chicken sandwich. Clearly, this is a huge issue of conscience for Pern, and others like him.

5. YankeeFan

Pern could clear it up for us.

Let him come here and say he would have no problem supporting a party in which a Senator from some far away place like Arkansas or West Virginia was against a woman's right to vote, or against inter-racial marriage.

I mean, that party would still be better than the alternative, right? And, as long as his local elected officials didn't hold those views, why would we criticize Pern for supporting this party?

6. Dick Whitman

I feel like the actual functional equivalent to this would be if the head of the DNC were anti-gay marriage. Nobody cares if some coder at Mozilla or franchise manager at Chik Filet gave $50 to Prop 8. They care about the big dog.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And even then I think it's lip service -- I'd LOVE to see those who say they'll avoid that chicken sandwich and those who stay true to their word.

A good chicken sandwich is hard to find, you know.

8. Dick Whitman

I fucking promise you I will never eat there. Promise.

9. YankeeFan

LOL. Who was the head of the Democratic Party in 2008? What were his views at the time?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I must be the only hypocrite left in America. :(

11. Dick Whitman

I don't understand what that has to do with 2014.

12. YankeeFan

A. You live in a big city, with tons of options.

B. Their footprint in Chicago is pretty small, with one on Lake, and another in the Gold Coast.

C. You've likely never had to decline to join a group of co-workers who were on their way to lunch at this establishment, and therefore get into a discussion of why you were "boycotting" them,

Makes boycotting Firefox look easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted