1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-gay views

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 3, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2014/04/03/mozilla-ceo-brendan-eich-resigns/#21721101=0

He got the job 11 days ago, then vowed to stay despite furious criticism over his activism, including a $1,000 donation in favor of Proposition 8. Employees started slamming him publicly, and OK Cupid urged its followers not to use Firefox.

He gone.

We have employees with a wide diversity of views. Our culture of openness extends to encouraging staff and community to share their beliefs and opinions in public. This is meant to distinguish Mozilla from most organizations and hold us to a higher standard. But this time we failed to listen, to engage, and to be guided by our community.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At some point, and that point is coming very soon, it will be as taboo to hold anti-gay rights views as it is to hold racist views.

The religious right will rationalize its change of heart accordingly. It will have to.

3. LongTimeListener

Yeah, that's already happening out in California. I know a few people who voted for Prop 8, but they sure don't bring that up in a crowd.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is the Prop 8 donation all they "have on him"?

I'd think there's have to be more for him to be accused of having anti-gay views, and to warrant any kind of boycott/call for his resignation.

5. printit

printit Member

Ridiculous.

6. Dick Whitman

This is where we are.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if you're Barack Obama, and held the view that gays should not be allowed to marry, until 2012, that's ok.

But, if you gave money to a campaign that sought to make that opinion law, you're ant-gay, and should lose your job?

How does that work?

I agree that these views will look more and more outrageous as time goes by, but at the time, it was one of two mainstream opinions.

8. LongTimeListener

I have a feeling, just a guess, that he was offered the opportunity to renounce his donation (and possibly some other activity) and declined to do so.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You have to take this within the context of Mozilla's public persona.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Oh, that's just politics. That's different.

And, I agree, I'm at the point where I get more than slightly agitated if someone makes an anti-gay remark. Some of that is probably overcompensation for anti-gay views I held as a kid.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If he stayed around, just like the browser the company owns, he would have updated his views in 2 weeks.

12. Dick Whitman

It's like the "Duck Dynasty" guy. Organizations like GLAAD are on the motherfuckin' hunt right now. And if you find yourself in the cross hairs, you're finished. They are the NRA of the left, in a way.

Draft saved Draft deleted