1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mizzou T-shirt creating controversy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Platyrhynchos, Nov 14, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm sure the attention is great. Just realize that, as of mid-november, your boys have artfully dodged every decent opponent in the Big 12. But the beauty, unlike the Big Ten, is that they can't dodge them forever. :)

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Touche'.

How about Rex Walters.......Danny Manning........you see my point.

Like the guy who walked into a bar in Norman, wearing a Burnt Orange UT shirt.....and I think he was spouting off some shit as well.......you telling me he didn't have a "Beat my ass, please" stamped on his forehad?

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm in the middle on this one. Grew up in Kansas, started at KU and finished at Missouri. I've always followed both schools, with Kansas basketball being at the top of the list.
    I've seen both sides, and like I wrote in college, I can't believe any other rivalry is as nasty as this one (I've seen Auburn-Alabama up close and Duke-UNC from not far away).
    One of my favorite examples is how when Ryan Robertson - who was from Missouri - committed to Kansas, his girlfriend was getting so much hate mail and brain washing that she ended up breaking it off with him to date Bryan Grawer, Missouri's point guard.
    I can only imagine what the first homecoming game in 1906 was like. There were survivors and decendents of those brutal battles sitting in those stands, feet away from the other side.
    I've also sat at the Hearnes Center in Kansas colors, getting drenched in ketchup from hot dogs and liquids I can only hope were soda.
    Nov. 24 is going to be crazy.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

And that shirt - while seriously fucked up - is a bit much.
    At the same time, it doesn't shock me at all.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Looking at scores against common opponents, I seriously doubt that Mizzou is too worried about Kansas, let alone Kansas State.

Kansas 19, Colorado 14
    Mizzou 55, Colorado 10

Kansas 19, Texas A&M 11
    Mizzou 40, Texas A&M 26

Kansas 76, Nebraska 39 (I give them their due)
    Mizzou 41, Nebraska 6 (Nebraska was ranked at the time)

And Mizzou's only loss? 41-31 at No. 3 Oklahoma.
    Kansas' only victory against a ranked team was a 30-24 nailbiter over No. 24 (at the time) K-State.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Maybe you're a fan of getting a bottle smashed over your head for simply talking some smack about a sports team, but I think it's stupid.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

If you walked into a bar in South Chicago dressed up in your best Leon Durham jersey, talking shit from the time you walk in........you don't expect a beat-down?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Missouri better be worried about Kansas. And Kansas State on the road.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure it is classless, but I admire the Missouri t-shirt as a history buff. And to be honest, a lot of the best college rivalries are rooted in actual historical events. The Quantril shirt idea is a lot more clever and inspired than Muck Fizzou or the Tex A&M Michael Vick T-shirt. You'd think students at a place of higher learning would want to show off their smarts.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Washington fans are the only ones who think the Oregon-Washington rivalry is bigger than Oregon-Oregon State.

11. rascalface

rascalface Member

Neither side has claim to the high moral ground in the Border War (the actual fighting in the 1850s and 1860s, not the MU-KU rivarly). The burning of Lawrence had its roots in many things, not the least of which included the sacking of Osceola and the death (some would argue the murder) of Bill Anderson's sister.

While it is part of the states' history, it's nothing to celebrate.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wait a minute ... I thought Quantrill took care of Lawrence. They rebuilt it?

Draft saved Draft deleted