1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mizzou T-shirt creating controversy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Platyrhynchos, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Right now, students at Hampden-Sydney in Virginia are crafting shirts for their basketball tilt against a college in Pennsylvania: "Address this Gettysburg".

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

These two schools....hell, these two states have had a mutual hatred for each other for well over 100 years. Have they ever played a game as big as this? No. But that doesn't mean the hatred between the two is any more/less.

I think the only person in the history of Missouri athletics who wouldn't get the piss knocked out of him on sight if he walked into a restaurant in Lawrence, Kansas is Norm Stewart......and even then, he'd probably get a few boos tossed at him.

Is Michigan-Ohio State and Alabama-Auburn.....are they more rivalry games? Maybe. But what Kansas-Missouri has is more than that. It's like an annual war between the two.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Agreed ... some of the nation's nastiest rivalries are games nobody else gives two shits about. The northwest has a bunch of them -- Oregon-Washington, Washington-Wazzu, Oregon-Oregon State, Idaho-Boise State -- that are ridiculously bitter and nobody outside the area cares. It's actually one of the coolest things about college sports. At heart, it's still regional.

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

That, right there, is PRECISELY what makes the Nov. 24 matchup such a huge game. Never, never before have Missouri and Kansas played a football game against each other — on the last day of the season, no less — where the magnitude of a win is so great, and the implications are national.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I personally think that in-state rivalries (Auburn-Alabama, Texas-Texas A&M, Florida-FSU, Oregon-Oregon State) overshadow all cross-border rivalries, and that includes Ohio State-Michigan. The in-state games are 365-day-a-year arguments, even within families.

If you're a Michigan fan living in Detroit, you can probably avoid Ohio State folk most of the year. Not so an Alabama fan living in Birmingham. He's got to see Auburn fans every day.

But KU-Mizzou may be an exception given that so many of their graduates work alongside each other in the KC metro area. Oklahoma-Texas probably applies as well, at least in Dallas.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. And Zeke, I'm with you, that John Brown T-shirt is suddenly on my Christmas list.

7. Chef

Chef Active Member

I think Oregon-Washington is bigger than Oregon-Oregon State.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Really? In what sport? Washington hasn't been relevant in football in so long that I wonder if that's still true ...

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think Ball State-Miami or Ball State-Indiana State beats all.

10. KP

KP Active Member

I hear Ball State wants to bring DII Assumption in for a game for shits and giggles.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Mizzou ain't exactly SE Louisiana... so enjoy the spotlight while it lasts. The funny part is, all you Beakers will be basketball fans again in a few weeks.

12. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Missouri journalism professor will unveil his version of the T-shirt next week. You won't be able to tell a difference from the original.

Draft saved Draft deleted