1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mississippi Law could make it the first abortion-free state

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 1, 2012.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Actually, one of the OB's on staff already does have privileges at a local hospital, but they're working to get everyone on staff hospital privileges.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

My understanding (from this morning's AP story) is that the local OBs are very reluctant to work there because their names would be published, and they fear they and their family would be followed and harassed outside of work. Sad, but understandable.

Therefore, the clinic itself is staffed by physicians who hold admitting privileges out of state, which does not meet the requirements of the new law. One local OB does have an understanding with the clinic and will meet/take responsibility for patients who need to be admitted to a hospital, but he or she does not actually work at the clinic.

Lisa_simpson could have more direct information than me, though.

3. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I do not. The original story indicated that one of the staffers met the requirements but wasn't actually that specific.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A possibly flawed assumption in the reporting on this story is to suggest that abortions in Mississippi can only take place in an abortion mill um, clinic. My reading of previous AP reporting suggests that as long as a doctor in Mississippi is performing fewer than 10 abortions a year, the state has no standing in that at all.

Or that was my casual reading on the subject. If that misses the boat, I'll stand corrected.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The last documented abortion in Mississippi was Houston Nutt's coaching career.

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Agreed. Inability to murder children puts states behind others.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're not children. For the first five+ months of pregnancy, they're collections of cells attached to a host.

It's why every year, people celebrate birthdays, not conception days.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

While this blog post addresses federal attempts to impose limitations, the general idea expressed by these two octogenarians is equally applicable to attempts by Mississippi and other states.

[urlhttp://margaretandhelen.com/2012/06/04/am-i-wearing-orange-colored-glasses-or-did-john-boehner-just-pretend-to-care-about-women/][/url]

10. workerB12

workerB12 Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/justice/mississippi-abortion-clinic-ruling/index.html?hpt=us_c2

It's looks like the clinic might survive.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Easier for a madman to get a 100 round clip & semiautomatic assault rifle in this county than for a woman to get an abortion.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You think?

Draft saved Draft deleted