1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Mexico/honeymoon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, I'm getting married in about 2 months. I don't have enough money to fly anywhere, take a cruise or a train ride somewhere. I'm thinking about hitting New Mexico or Colorado, near Colorado Springs. The girlfriend thinks we are going to the Big Bend region and I want to surprise her.

Any ideas? I have less than a grand to spend. She's never been to Colorado, but New Mexico is closer.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Congrats Angola,

Spent a week doing the Route 66 thing in New Mexico, White Sands, Riodoso, Albuquerque, the old Devil's Highway up to Four Corners, but really Santa Fe is top notch. Didn't get up to Taos, but it's a great area. Lots to check out, whether you like window shopping, art or recreation
  3. dargan

dargan Active Member

I think the Red River/Glorieta/Taos/Santa Fe region is pretty cool to look at and relatively cheap.

I visited Red River as a small child with my parents and grandparents. I attended church camp in Glorieta two years straight, and Taos and Santa Fe are nearby and are the more hipster kinda places. Taken a family trip or two to Taos/Santa Fe.

Like I said, kinda cool to look at, and I'm not a mountain person at all. I can't survive places that have zero humidity and the temperature ranges from 45 to 85 during June.
  4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Me and mamachef went to Red River on our honeymoon.

Very, very nice.

Very affordable as well.
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Did you woo her by performing surgery the first night you were together?
  6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Nah. The first self-mutilation procedure came about 7 years into it. After the first time I dug into my toe with the razor (hence the beginning of my award-winning thread) she just looked at me and said....."I always thought there was something a little wrong with you.......now.......I know."
  7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Gola,

Congrats. I had to spend bit more than three weeks in Albuqueque on assignment. It's not Vegas but there are lots of great restauants in the Old Town neighbourhood, not tourist-trappy at all. (I was with some locals.) I never made it north (though as a boy-geologist, I dreamed of Carlsbad) but I did make it to Roswell (never realized that the radio guy who read the alert on the UFO crash was a Joyce) and Ruidoso (pretty spectacular). I hope you can take your time.

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

You can tell your new bride the story of how Tucumcari got it's name. At least, it's the story my dad always told us when we were driving through on our way to Phoenix. We always stayed at some cheap Days Inn in Tucumcari, which we always knew as halfway to the promise land of aunts and uncles' homes with pools.
  9. OTD

OTD Active Member

Santa Fe is supposed to be really nice. Not sure how pricey it is.

You should PM Cadet, who I believe was nearly New Mexicoed to death.

And again, congratulations!
  10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I am available for NM travel tips, though I don't know what y'all are wanting to do. What time of year?
  11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Would like to avoid Ruidoso (been there done that). Like to lay around, but do some activities. Doesn't need to be posh, a normal hotel is fine. We like to drink.
  12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

rent a nice car ... not the piece of crap you drive.
Draft saved Draft deleted