1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Media Assoc. Editor, NESN, Watertown, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, May 6, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

New England Sports Network, Ltd
    New Media Associate Editor
    United States - - Massachusetts Watertown

SUMMARY:
    Reporting to the Director of New Media and under the direction of the New Media Editor, the Associate Editor will plan, develop, and implement editorial, promotional, and user-generated content for NESN.com. This position is responsible for finding creative and innovative ways to tell stories by utilizing a wide-range of multimedia tools. The Associate Editor will be part of a collaborative and growing team that is chartered with successfully designing, developing, launching and maintaining NESN’s new media platform. This position is responsible for working Sunday – Thursday from approximately 3pm – 12am or later as needed.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
    Conceive, develop, edit and execute story packages; guide the development of and edit articles/blogs from staff, on-air talent and freelance writers and bloggers.
    Develop and edit original written content; select relevant wire service stories and statistics.
    Edit content on various platforms to ensure a consistent and appropriate 'look and feel' and editorial voice
    Work with programming and production staff to develop editorial strategies and packages
    Working with the New Media Editor, to provide direction to production assistants and interns to help prepare various content for NESN.com
    Determine and prioritize stories and ensure content has a consistent energy and "feel", and is compelling, engaging, understandable, informative and current
    Develop and coordinate schedule of daily video to be posted; tag video with appropriate compelling metadata.
    Participate in developing, implementing and maintaining an efficient workflow
    Participate in developing and implementing best practices to effectively engage a consumer audience, properly integrate technology and product, cross-promotion and site accuracy
    Work with the New Media team to ensure that content plans and executions are in-line with overall business goals
    Successfully complete other related tasks/projects as needed

EDUCATION:
    BA/BS in English, Journalism, Communications or a related industry; MA a plus

QUALIFICATIONS:
    Strong knowledge of New England sports is a must
    Two to four years experience developing, editing and managing new media/online content
    Four to six years experience in media as a writer, editor, online producer or related job
    Basic understanding of HTML
    Must be detail-oriented, have excellent organization skills and a proven track record in multi-tasking effectively
    Ability to successfully work in a fast-paced, loosely structured, growing and changing work environment
    Must have strong written and verbal communication skills, and interpersonal skills
    Proven ability to apply “out-of-the-box” thinking and a positive attitude required to successfully build NESN.com
    Ability to work afternoon-evening hours, Sunday – Thursday, and have the flexibility to work some holidays needed

>> Apply Now
    E.O.E./M/F/H/V

http://www.journalismnext.com/jobdetails.cfm?jid=5977

2. bigtimmy

bigtimmy New Member

I interviewed TWICE for this same job back in December and January. Back then, I was interviewing for 1 of 3 position. After two weeks, they told me that they were cutting 3 down to 1 and that I wasn't chosen.

I wonder why they're suddenly hiring another one....

3. sportswriter45

sportswriter45 New Member

This might not be the same gig. My understanding is this is a new position that didn't even exist until like March. A friend of mine works on the TV side and let me know when it was, in his words, "created." I'd have applied if I was a little younger, but the hours don't work with a family.

Draft saved Draft deleted