1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new Leonard-Hagler book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by henryhenry, Sep 11, 2008.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

lou filippo was a judge. he gave seven rounds to hagler.

3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

filippo, in the book, says hagler had surprising speed, and matched leonard "tit for tat"

the two judges who scored for leonard both gave hagler the 12th, thought filippo gave it to leonard

so if you put the 12th in hagler's column, plus the seven filippo gave him - that's eight rounds

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't understand how anyone could have given Hagler any of the first four rounds.

3. Filippo was in the bag for MMH, which explains his giving 3 and 4 to his guy. Even the most sincere of Hagler apologists know in their heart that MMH did nothing during the first four rounds.

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Rounds 3 and 4 for Hagler ... those are marks for attendance.

I hate the scoring system (inevitable 10-9s, anything more needing a knockdown, no drawn rounds). I wish there were a better system. But given the system in existence I just see no way Hagler won 3 and 4 and the fight.

YD&OHS, etc

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

one of the judges gave 3 and 4 to hagler.

filippo wasn't crooked. highly respected career. nobody alleged he was in the tank, as was the case with dave moretti, who came under investigation by the Nevada AG for his connection to gambler Billy Baxter, who bet a bundle on Leonard.

if you say leonard obviously won rounds 3 and 4 you're just plain wrong.

it wasn't obvious. lots of people had hagler winning those rounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted