1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new Leonard-Hagler book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by henryhenry, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Here it is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Four-Kings-Leonard-Hagler-Hearns/dp/1590131622/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221367634&sr=8-1

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Should be a good read, but they don't deserve the moniker.

3. Smallpotatoes

Duran and Hearns are going to be in Manchester, N.H. Wednesday. Hearns' son is fighting on the show.
    I'm going.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

My dad is a huge fight fan. Just ordered this book; Christmas gift!

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

leonard seduced you, hence the title. he seduced hagler and the judges as well. but if it had been fought by hagler and joe shmoe hagler would have won the decision. hagler's crime was that he didn't dominate like a 3-1 favorite should. leonard won by not losing.

and to set the record straight, according to 'Sorcery", Hagler was orthodox for the first two rounds, not four.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ray beat hagler. get over it. he also won the best fight i ever watched. it took place in montreal in 1980 against duran.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Henry,

You don't win rounds by looking mean. Otherwise Hagler would never have lost a round in his career.

You don't lose rounds for getting on your bicycle with your eyes open wide. Otherwise Leonard would have lost as many as he won (though he still would have won Hearns I).

You probably score unanimous decisions for the bull over the matador each time out.

I hate Leonard, I've looked for a way that Hagler deserved to win, but Leonard won. More decisively each time I watched it. Which was at least six times.

YD&OHS, etc

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It didn't rival the heavyweight divison in the 70s but that was a great time for boxing. Four stud fighers who all fought each other. Add in other good fighters like Mugabi, Moore, Benitez (an all-time great at 140) and it was a very deep field.

Make no mistake, in the 70s and into his first fight with Leonard, Duran was a fucking icon. The best lightweight who ever lived, nobody else is remotely close. Probably the only guy at the time who could match Ali's status, among boxing fans anyway. I interviewed him 10 years ago and he still looked like he could go a few rounds.

Oh yeah, Leonard's "draw" against Hearns in their rematch, was an infinitely worse decision than his win against Hagler.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Next time you watch the fight, turn the sound off and see how you would score it. Ray fought a fight for an Olympic judge to love. Quick punches with no sting. I always thought MMH should have said f-it, I am going to stand in this corner until this punk wants fight.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Odds the dads come out of retirement on the undercard: 5/2.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr P,

The first time I watched it -- closed circuit -- I couldn't hear anything. I was disappointed Hagler lost. But he did. Leonard hit him ... never hurt him, but he did hit him. Hagler went whole rounds without getting off. A deaf guy wouldn't think differently.

YD&OHS, etc

12. Smallpotatoes

The only time I watched the fight was the night it happened, on closed circuit in the Hartford Civic Center. Would I score it differently if I saw it again? Maybe, but the judges only got to see it once so I think that doesn't really matter.
    The thing is every time I talk to somebody who feels Hagler won the fight, they say "Hagler was the aggressor" or "The challenger has to take the title from the champion."
    The questions I have yet to hear any one of those people answer is how many rounds did Hagler win, which rounds did he win and why?
    Fans see a 12-round fight. Judges see 12 one-round fights.

Draft saved Draft deleted