1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Leader of AP Sports Editors Seeks Candidates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is the rational view, until it's trumped . . . and I'm not holding my breath.

No doubt, there remain multiple major examples of minority/female talent out there who are calmly surveying the landscape -- then going in a direction other than media, because so many sectors of traditional media remain under the gun in terms of the prevailing negative pressure on salary/profits. Talent is frequently induced to head elsewhere, because given their talents, they can do better for themselves and their families in other fields.

You're frequently left with a decimated first string of prospects, and as a result, some minority hires are made which shouldn't be, given the candidate pool available for specific positions.

2. BurgersForBreakfast

BurgersForBreakfast New Member

wow, my second post and i'm already feeling insulted. turtle, my "sob" is true. you should have more respect. i told you i got it from the horse's mouth, i didn't assume anything. if you think i'm lying -- faux? -- that's very insulting. ... i'm not surprised you have heard similar stories from others. not surprising at all.

3. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Where is this "open discrimination against white men?"

I mean, how can there be open discrimination against white men in newspaper sports departments, yet few people of color are being hired?

Aren't 90-plus percent of the sports editors in newspapers white men?

Any argument about "open discrimination against white men" is just silly.

4. BurgersForBreakfast

i gave two examples that i have personally experienced in which white men were discriminated against in the pursuit of diversity. other people were hired, not because they were the best candidate, but because of the pursuit of diversity. it seems obvious, not silly, that when anyone sets out with the intention of hiring minorities they are setting out to avoid white men. that's discrimination. it's openly discriminating, not hidden. we should be color blind. i learned that when i was 5 or 6. i'm waiting for everyone else to catch up.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Those beers ain't walking over here, noob!

6. BurgersForBreakfast

i wish i knew what "those beers ain't walking" meant, but given the unflattering "noob" at the end, i'm guessing you have joined turtle in proclaiming me a fake. wow. double wow. i guess sometimes when someone doesn't have a really genuine point or counterpoint, they just insult people.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

At one of my stops, I was explicitly told they were looking for a woman. When I was hired, I believe I was the only full-time woman on staff. We added a second afterward, but I was told, up front, they wanted a woman.

And they hired one.

Am I going to tell you I was the most qualified candidate? NO idea. I don't know who else was up for it. But it happens. Trust that.

B4B: "Fetch me a beer, newbie" is a rite of passage around here. No disrespect intended.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Actually, you have a point. But you're taking things too personally and not helping your cause. And I really want a hamburger right now.

9. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Two personal observations of white men being passed over for the sake of hiring a diversity candidate hardly is evidence of "open discrimination against white men."

Again: 90-plus percent of sports editors right now are white men. People of color are rarely hired in sports departments in significant numbers.

The facts are indisputable.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I may get blasted for this, but it's an honest question. Does anybody have any idea what percentage of applicants for newspaper sports jobs are white males? The couple of times I was in a position to make a hire at small daily I got a decent number of applications. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a female applicant either time, though names can be deceiving. Every person I contacted based on their application packet turned out to be a white male.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The kind of stuff Burgers mentioned happens more than people are willing to admit, especially when the initiatives benefit the people pushing them. Sound and fury, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Also, indisputable facts do not necessarily a serious problem make.

12. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Indisputable facts simply speak the truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted