1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Kanye West, 50 Cent CDs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You think Fitty is a man of his word?

NEW YORK (AP) — 50 Cent may be getting hip-hop’s equivalent of a gold watch next week.
    Early reports have Kanye West beating 50 in their much-hyped battle of album sales: West’s “Graduation” is on pace to sell about 575,000 to 700,000 its first week out, while 50 Cent’s “Curtis” is on track to do 550,000, according to Billboard magazine. As of day one, Kanye had sold 437,000 copies to 50’s 310,000, according to Nielsen Soundscan.
    Both albums came out Tuesday, and a confident 50 Cent famously announced that he would retire if West outsold him in first-week sales.
    “I just don’t view him as competition based on our previous sales histories,” 50 Cent told The Associated Press last month.
    But it looks as if 50 underestimated the power of West, and perhaps, overestimated his own appeal.
    “I don’t think it’s helped 50 that so many of these prerelease singles that have come out have fizzled on the charts right away,” said Jonathan Cohen, Billboard’s senior editor. “There were street date changes. It has just not been a good run-up to this record for him.”
    Meanwhile, Cohen says West is having a more “charmed” experience, despite his recent tantrum at the MTV Video Music Awards after going home empty-handed.
    “These tantrums he goes on, these outlandish comments he makes, they don’t really hurt him,” said Cohen. “If anything, they’ve got more people interested in what he’s all about.”
    Still, don’t finalize those retirement party plans for 50 just yet; there are several days to go before a final tally is determined, and he could catch up and overtake West.
    “It is a projection,” Cohen said of the initial sales predictions. “It can very easily deviate.”
    And there’s still the potential of a third-party candidate winning the race: country superstar Kenny Chesney, who’s “Just Who I Am: Poets and Pirates” also was released on Tuesday, is so far on pace to sell 400,000 to 550,000 copies.

2. Fifty backed down from those statements a long time ago. I'm surprised this writer didn't do the research and find that.

3. P.S. The Kanye CD is outstanding and 50's, while better than The Massacre (it would almost have to be) is average at best.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Would that make him a bitch?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Is there a way they can both retire?

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

50's album is generic 50. It's better than the awful "Massacre", but still quite mediocre and not nearly coming close to "Get Rich or Die Trying." 50 lacks the hunger that made him great on his mixtapes and first album. It's definitely time for him to retire.

Kanye's album disappointed me quite a bit. While "College Dropout" will probably never be matched, I expected a "Late Registation"-esque record with some incredible tracks like We Major, Roses, and Gone. Don't get me wrong, "Graduation" is still really really good. But it doesn't have as many standout songs as either of the first two albums. Maybe I'll change my mind after a few more listens.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I loved College Dropout. I tolerated Late Registration, but only got it from a burned copy from a friend. I'm not excited about Graduation.

And I L-O-V-E-D College Dropout.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I read Rolling Stone's dual features on 50 and Kanye, and they were enjoyable. Spurred me to buy Kanye's CD yesterday. I'll buy 50 tomorrow.

Kanye's CD stinks, which is disappointing, because after he produced Common's "Finding Forever," which is unbelievable, I thought, "OK, Kayne's new CD will be sharp.

Nope. Other than his mash-up of Daft Punk's Bigger, Stronger, Faster, the rest of the CD is blase. On a scale of 1-10, it gets a 4 or 5.

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Well, after I finally got Kanye's album, I was not disappointed. Although the lyrics on some of the songs that people are calling "deep" and "really saving hip hop" I'm not seeing.
    It's got good beats, aight lyrics and it's re-listenable.
    It's not the best hip hop album ever made, but it's the better than a lot of shit that comes out anymore...50 cent piece included...

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I second that!

11. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

wow, is it really that bad?
    when i first got Late Registration, i didn't think it was as good as College Dropout.
    but the more i listened to LR, i liked it much better than CD.

i think i'll just DL some of the songs first before buying.

12. graduation was very disappointing

Draft saved Draft deleted