1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jurassic 5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ogre, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

Walking through best buy today, saw it, and bought it, thinking, "when have the boys done me wrong before?", even though I had not heard any of the new tracks or read a review. And for the most part, it's dope, except the track with Dave Matthews Band. That is lame on spec.

other opinions?

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

It's definitely no Quality Control or Power In Numbers.

I don't know what's wrong with "Work It Out." If you told me J5 made a track with Dave Matthews, it's about exactly how I would have guessed it would sound. It's different, but not bad.

3. ogre

ogre Member

Agreed, it's not as good as previous work. But it is well worth the $9.99.

A song with Dave Matthews Band sucks because it is contrived, label driven and what's the point of having a band come on to sing the hook? I hate that. Plus, DMB is the music that every annoying frat boy listened to and sang out at the bars when I was in college. Reminds me of cigarette butts, piss pucks and vomit on the bathroom floor. But that's just me.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, how out of the current music scene am I? Thought this was a thread about a 5th Jurassic Park movie. Here I was thinking they never should have made a 2 or 3.

5. I got it a couple weeks ago (bootleg, now running to my hiding place) and I was thoroughly disappointed. I thought it started out strong, I really like the first two tracks, but there's too much messing around and not enough of the genuine J5 feel to the album. Lots of cameos by other artists and such when I just want to hear the boys flow with some nice beats. I don't hate it or anything, but it's not up to the standards they have previously set, in my opinion.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've had it as well for a couple of weeks and sort of feel the same way. I'll still like it; I mean it's better than 90% of the garbage out there and I'm a big J5 fanboy. What's weird is very few of my friends even know who they are. Same thing when I start playing ATCQ... ::)

7. OkayPlayer

OkayPlayer Member

About six years ago, I was a huge, huge fan of J5's LP. Great cd. Original, fresh and just plain fun. Quality Control came out, and I still dug them. It wasn't too original, they didn't say anything profound, but it was a fun CD. Power in Numbers came out, and it was more of the same.

It's like, "I get it you can harmonize." But do something different, grow as a band a little bit. The few songs I've heard from the new CD sound the same as before, just more produced than before as if they took a Black Eyed Peas turn. I think Cut Chemist leaving the group is huge.

Each J5 song is essentially the same. It's them talking about how cool they are, about how they don't have guns, blah, blah, blah. Telling people what you're not isn't the same as telling what you are. I think they need to learn that.

Draft saved Draft deleted