1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Job troubles

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Springler, Jan 14, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Those who know me know of my obsession with Pepsi. I was in SCEditor territory. I'd wake up at noon, start drinking Pepsi, and drink it until I went to bed at 4 a.m. Rarely drank anything other than Pepsi, all day every day.

Tomorrow is my two-week mark of having no Pepsi, no soda, no diet, no nothing. Water, water water. Is it easy? Hell no. I still have cans in my fridge that taunt me whenever I pull out my water pitcher.

But definitely try to drink MORE water. Not saying cut it out completely...but drink more water than you are now.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The doctor told me that I needed to drink two liters of water per day or I'd continue to get kidney stones. That's incentive enough for me, having ralphed in my wife's car en route to the hospital.

I still have a weakness for iced tea, which doesn't count toward the two liters. I drink soda only on vacation, either Coke or a Mexican soda called Jarritos that is made with real sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Why in hell does iced tea not count towards your water allotment? The caffeine?

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Rum. Lots of rum.

5. sartrean

sartrean Member

I can't believe some people are advising you to give up alcohol and caffeine. I'd hate to see your sports section if you do that.

Oh well.

My suggestion is to drink more. Anybody can be a non-drunk, but to be a drunk, you have to have endurance.

I don't think I'd have made it in this type of work had I not killed a 12-pack every night for the past 15-17 years.

Drinking heavily is the only way I can cope with dickheaded and dumbass editors, rabid parents, illiterate high school athletes and the disorganized, yet egotistical brood we all know as "coaches."

If you give up drinking, then I strongly recommend heroin. It's a great high and after that needle hits the vein, it's like you've never ever had to chase a coach down or listen to a parent tell you their kid works hard.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I lived a block from work and had three bars, a pizza place with a beer license and a restaurant with a full bar in that block...try moving closer to work...

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I would never advise somebody to quit drinking alcohol. I've given up caffeine. The beer is staying.

8. be careful with all that soda.

two words -- kidney stones

if you are drinking soda with caffeine (or iced tea) late at night, make sure to drink a lot of water afterwards. don't hammer the pepsi and go right to bed. trust me

i think all the ideas here are good ones. try to work out, try to eat somewhat healthy, find a hobby outside work.

i also think it's important to get the hell away as often as you can. my first year on my first job i became obsessed with it and just put everything I had into doing a good job. i was working too many hours, working on my days off, etc. getting away -- visiting friends 100 miles away and forcing myself to not even think about work for a bit -- was really important in keeping my sanity

9. Holy shit!
    Do you two still have teeth and weigh less than 300 lbs?

Not that I have a lot of room to talk. I drink a gallon of lemon ice tea a day, (along with lots of water) and the evening six-pack-plus.
    Of course, I go to the bathroom 20 times a shift. If people I ask I tell them I'm a chronic masterbater and Quark-X makes me horny!
    I also have a soft-spot for the six-pack of Oreos in the vending machine.
    I'm pushing 200 lbs, but I have resumed running (two miles a day) and working out at the Y.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I'm 5-8, 175lbs. Back when I was drinking Pepsi all the time, I was probably about 5-8, 200. Within two months of switching to diet coke, I dropped about 10 pounds without doing anything different as far as working out.

I'm in S.C., so I have three teeth left. ;D

11. Springler

Springler Guest

Actually, the only soda I drink is diet, but that makes it so much easier to down can after can. The caffeine levels, though, remain, and I think it plays with my head. Water it will be, along with caffeine-free carbonated beverages after noon.

12. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Yes, kidney stones. My dad went through that at 40. He claims he knows the pain of child birth now.

But he made it alive.

Draft saved Draft deleted