1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Job Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TripleBeatExpress, Dec 11, 2013.

1. TripleBeatExpress

TripleBeatExpress New Member

First post on the board so apologies if I break 15 rules in the first 15 words.

I've recently taken a job at the news outlet that I've worked part-time at for about a year and a half while I finished school. The company I work for also provides another local service that is the primary source of income for the company. That being said I'm part of a three-person news team that covers local news on a daily basis.

I myself am in charge of covering three sports beats. One is a national college football beat, the others are a college basketball and college hockey beat.

I'm on salary for $22,000 per year. At the 6-month mark I'm eligible for a $500 raise.

Does the work match the pay? I can live with not having weekends or an actual day off during football season, but the effort is slowly not matching pay. I'm single (25) and live in an apartment for less than 1,000 a month. It would be nice to make enough to save and live, not just live.

I understand sports writing is never going to make me filthy rich, but am I wrong in thinking that I'm getting underpaid? I also realize that I'm a new hire and that pay is directly related to company size and revenue.

Really any advice is appreciated.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pay never matched the workload.
    That's why I changed fields, although it took me 15 years to get to that point.

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Why did you accept that salary when you were being hired if you think it's not enough? Yes, you're underpaid. Yes, it's industry standard.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The answer to your real question is yes. Yes you should leave the place because they are undervaluing and overworking you. Sure you can negotiate for a bigger raise or a higher bonus and if things are going well in terms of your performance and the company performance you may even get it. But in the long run, an extra $500, $1,000 or even $2,500 isn't going to give you what you want.

I assume what you are looking for is more of a normal workload. Not working seven days a week during football season and maybe even having weeknights off like to hang out with other like-minded 25-year-olds. I assume you are also looking for more comfortable pay.

I don't know your specific skills, but there are always opportunities to use your communication skills to get into a 9-5 that treats you better. I did the same thing a few years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. My editor looked at me like I was a moron, but whatever. I actually own a home now instead of living with my parents and I am blessed to not have to worry about money anymore - even at a very young age.

Draft saved Draft deleted