1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New job is a journalism time machine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by allanjlewis, Mar 15, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm still baffled that there are publications out there still pasting up pages...wow.
    Learn what you can, be respective, build some clips and experience and move on.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I can't impress upon you enough what others have said: Use it for what you can and don't be a dick.

Do what you know is right. And that being said, the first time they try to hold a story because it could piss off an advertiser, GTFO.

But just don't be a dick.

I've dealt with so many straight-out-of-college folks, and the good ones always eventually have a moment where they realize they don't know nearly as much as they think they do. Those folks always move up in the world. The others may, too, but it just seems to take them longer.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

An exciting new digital future in journalism is still based on source-building, interviewing, showing up early and researching. Sounds like you have a great opportunity to do all those things. Screw what software you're using to paginate.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ever see anyone ever use a proportion gauge? It was cool.
    I can't find a foto on cursory search.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure the OP's co-workers were pissed when they stopped using the operator to place calls or when Western Union stopped its telegraph service.

6. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

You probably can learn a hell of a lot about journalism there. Take it in while you're there.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you have a job in journalism, isn't that in some sense a journalism time machine?

8. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

yes! the good ol' days... and wax machines, real dark rooms and those cool blue pens that allowed you write all over your pasted-up page without it showing up in the paper ... good times...

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Lack of a website at an operation like that doesn't scare me.

But paste up in 2012? It's not even an efficient way to get the most out of your resources.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Allan,

Everyone's telling you to not be a dick but I have to give you props because your description of the place was, to me, written with bemusement and no dickishness is apparent. Sounds like you might be good for them, and vice versa. Enjoy it.

Not a day goes by when I don't think of the 18 months I spent as the "editor" of a 2-man weekly outside Nashville at the age of 20.

Draft saved Draft deleted