1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New JFK assassination book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Never really followed all the conspiracy theories, but since some of you seem to read up on it...are there any other presidential assassinations that get this treatment?

I know Lincoln had a cabal working together against him to assassinate him and several other union leaders. But do people think the guys who tried to kill Jackson, McKinnley, Reagan, Ford were part of something larger? Why do people think it was just Kennedy who was set up?

Curious to hear replies.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Now just a dog-gone minute there, Joe. I was framed and you know it. :D

3. old_tony

I honestly think it's mostly because of the number of people that were there who thought they "heard" the sound coming from the grassy knoll (which I covered above).

But, as I also said above, no one has spoken out in 49-plus years. The other thing that cements for me there was only one shooter? There was never a bullet from any other gun found in Dealey Plaza.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Tony, with respect I think several people have spoken out about what happened with the assassination. They just get marginalized and their opinions on this subject get dismissed.
    But several people have spoken out.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not that it will matter one whit to those who insist on a conspiracy, but Penn and Teller did their own take on the "second gunman" claim.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is pretty much my theory.

IMO other people -- there are a lot of candidates -- wound Oswald up and pointed him in the right direction, then, after the fact, didn't want him to talk.

But I've seen no credible evidence of any other shooter.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

He's since run into plagiarism problems, but Gerald Posner's "Case Closed" is a pretty effective conspiracy debunker, IMHO.

A factoid I've always found interesting (if true) is that the only reason JFK's head and body was still upright for that final kill shot was that it was being held up by his back brace.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. I was stunned how close everything looked from the 6th floor sniper's nest. The shot seems much easier looking at the street from the window than it does when looking at the window from the street.

9. old_tony

Exactly. The shot was not some 200- or 300-yarder.

And Oswald had easy access to the sniper's next because worked there and was able to have a whole floor to himself. To say that there were so many better places to shoot from is foolish, unless the goal was to be caught and foiled immediately.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've talked to hunting mavens who say the Kennedy shots would not have been a particularly big deal for any reasonably experienced deer hunter. The conspiracy nuts act like it was like shooting a target the size of a gnat half a mile away in a car speeding away at 100 mph.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Yeah, all the pro- or anti-conspiracy shows always bring on a marksman to try and duplicate the feat and I always assumed it was some nearly impossible shot. I'm sure it's not easy, but my first thought upon actually seeing the view (well aware of the fact that I'm not a particularly accurate shooter): "Holy shit. Yeah, I could probably kill those people down there."

12. old_tony

Exactly. When I traveled for work I'd get to Dallas every year. Staying at the Hyatt Reunion back in the '80s and 90s, it was a short walk over to Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum and I went there a bunch of times. That was not a difficult shot for a former Marine at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted