1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New JFK assassination book

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'll read any book about the jfk assassination that is hailed ,as thought-provoking without an agenda, whether it be politically motivated, mobster-motivated, crackpot-motivatedm etc. i was a 6-year-old first grader sent home early from mrs. raftery's class because something horrific enough to leave the principal and all the teachers in tears. the singular most important, culture-changing even of my lifetime. i went home to see my father in front of the tv, crying.he remained virtually glued to the tv through the weekend, horrified by the live coverage of ruby offing oswald... and it was only the beginning, the first of three murders in five years of extraordinary men who would've made the '60s one of our nation's greatest decades insteadd o its worst. :'( :'( :'( :'( sj

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The records are being cared for by top men.
    Top. Men.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How weird that this thread was created today and that I found it when searching for "assassination" as I was going to create my own thread about this very topic.
    Anyway, I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 a few days ago and breezed through "A Nation Grieves," a collection of editorial cartoons in the days following JFK's death. Am currently working my way through "President Kennedy has been shot," by Newseum, a collection of first-hand accounts of the event and the journalists covering it.
    Anyway, I say all that to say this (And perhaps it's worth a separate thread still): If a President were shot and killed on live TV today, how do you think the coverage would compare to that day in 1963?
    I wasn't born so I wasn't around for the stuff in real time but it seems like everyone was incredibly careful not to be wrong in announcing JFK was shot, and later, that he had died. I wonder (and hope we never find out) how crazy things would be if it happened today.
    With FB, Twitter, etc, would networks be as careful as they were then?
    If it happened like the JFK hit did--in a wide open area with thousands of people there--you'd have to imagine it would take, what, six seconds for the first clips to hit the internet? And would we, as a culture, be obsessed with the footage to the point that we see the actual kill shot replayed over and over in the immediate aftermath of the event?
    I'm just curious because, like many people, my interest in this event is sparking with the 50th anniversary coming up.
    Also, I'd love to know what other books you fine folks would recommend on the topic once I get done with my Newseum one.

4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I think this is a pretty definitive book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-History-Assassination-President-Kennedy/dp/0393045250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373598880&sr=8-1&keywords=books+on+jfk+assassination+Bugliosi

[​IMG]

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The book that got me interested in the subject years ago is Best Evidence by David Lifton.

It concentrates on the medical evidence and the huge discrepancies in how the Dallas doctors described the wounds versus how the autopsy doctors at the Navy medical center in Bethesda, MD described the wounds.

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Read Bugliosi's book and you'll never take Lifton seriously again. He destroys Lifton's theories in about 10 pages. Even if you believe that Oswald had help - I don't, but I wouldn't bet my life on it - there's just no way that Lifton's claims of body tampering can work within the known timeline of events.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's what hooked me, too. Still have my dog-eared copy around here somewhere.

Extremely dense book, though. Not easy to get through.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A couple quick thoughts on some of the matters you touched on here:

* I read a futurist recently who predicted that the odds were good that there would be an assassination of a U.S. president in the 21st century. He didn't back it up with the evidence for asserting that probability, but proclaimed it pretty confidently. I think it was in The Atlantic in that section where they ask a bunch of people for their thoughts on a subject, like what was the most important Supreme Court decision no one has heard of, etc., etc.

* I don't think the networks or even cable news would play the "kill shot" over and over again. On 9/11, by some time that day - pretty early, I think - they had stopped running the footage of the towers falling, I believe. I think that the footage would certainly be available, but I think TV would show restraint. Well, it would show restraint in showing the footage. Not restraint in its breathless speculating and empty pontificating.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There was a great documentary on ABC I think last decade about the conspiracy that's been replayed on History numerous times. Erased any thought in my mind of a conspiracy.

A clip on Youtube I found:

If you can catch it, watch it.

EDIT: The whole show is on Youtube. http://youtu.be/JiqDCFSADW8

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

could be the voices in your head.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Yes, but there were all sorts of incorrect information right after 9/11 too. Eyewitness accounts are notoriously incorrect.

I tend to think that Oswald was the lone gunman, but had the help of a small group setting it up. That group either included Ruby, or recruited Ruby to kill Oswald, either as part of the plan all along, or once they decided Oswald was likely to talk. I do not think Oswald acted completely alone in setting it all up, but I do think he was the lone gunman.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm familiar with your driving. There's a reason you instinctively assume that sirens are coming from behind you.

Draft saved Draft deleted