1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey traffic jam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

True. He's been getting his ass handed to him lately by state conservatives over his support of the Dream Act, too.

I'd guess conservatives are generally OK with the concept of political retribution.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Republican, Christie voter and fan: this one will leave a mark. The bad news is, like lewinsky, that this is totally consistent with what all of us, even those who like him which makes it easy to believe and his protests of innocence hard to believe. (not that I know he's lying when he says he didn't know, but when it gets that high up, it probably means you've set a culture in motion where those close to you would think you approve.).

That's also the good news for him. Again, like lewinsky, his fans knew he had this in him and liked him anyway which might make it easier to recover.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Good: Christie is issuing actual apologies, and firing staff directly involved. He says he's planning to go to Fort Lee to apologize of the mayor (assuming he can negotiate the traffic, har har).

Bad: It won't end here. Despite his protestations that he knew nothing, there will be investigations determining whether that was true -- or whether he merely failed to ask questions about it in a timely manner. It's not like yesterday was the first time the idea of intentional, politically motivated closures was brought up. As Guy noted, it opens up questions whether Christie, despite what he said, set up a culture that allowed this stuff to happen.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He just said "I am not a bully."

It won't be the last time he says that.

5. Guy_Incognito

Agree
    Agreed, pretty good apology.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe he and Goodell can do an anti-bullying program ahead of the Super Bowl.

7. Guy_Incognito

If he knew, it will come out and he's finished. That now becomes the journalistic holy grail - evidence that he knew.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sad thing is that a good guy like Baroni gets canned resigns over this.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He joked about it when it first came up, and acted like it was no big deal.

It was obvious at the time that it was done as political retribution. The only question was who ordered it. Was it his high school buddy/appointee to the PA, did it come from someone eon his staff, or did it come directly from him.

For him to now act like it's a big deal is bullshit. He should have acknowledged it from the start, and gotten to the bottom of it. It shouldn't have taken others to find out his Deputy Chief of Staff was behind it.

As for how it happens, I'm not surprised. Political idiots get full of power, and want to flex it -- especially against "enemies". And, they think they're doing what their boss would want.

When I worked for Giuliani, there were staffers who were forever trying to stick it to Pataki. (And Pataki had staffers doing the same thing.) It was juvenile, and I think the principles would have been mortified at what was being done on their behalf.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Christie has to stop saying "Listen" after every question.

Oh, and of course he's a bully. He's never lost an argument, you can tell, and he'll talk and curse anybody under the table.

But being a bully is not necessarily unpresidential, is it? And I'm not sure people, in this age, would be turned off by a bully.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agreed. The problem is that, since he has portrayed himself a such a hands on manager (and has demonstrated in many instances that he is), even if there is no evidence that he knew anything, it will tarnish that aspect of his image which so many do like about him.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, and when he joked about it when first asked -- he said something like "I set up the traffic cones myself" -- the reporters in the room laughed like it was the funniest thing they ever heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.