1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey pizza rocks!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jersey shore
    Mack and Manco's
    'Nuff said

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You could also go down the hill and head to Park Tavern for a different great thin pizza. (I haven't been to Cafe Capri; it must have opened since I left NJ.)

Or, if you're instead in the mood for the world's best hot dogs, drive ten minutes to Rutt's Hut.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rippers

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

great call, Buck.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

there's nothing wrong with canned tomatoes to make the tomato sauce on pizza. in naples they use san marzano tomatoes which are supposedly the world's freshest and taste noticeably better than the regular dole or whatever other brand.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What -- no love for Carnival Spot or Pizza Man (or whatever it's called now) in Pompton Plains? ;D

7. This thread is making me really homesick.

The last time I was home, I think we hit six diners in four days. Six Brothers on Route 46, Middlesex Diner in Somerset, Edison Diner, Malibu Diner in Hoboken, Park West on Route 46, the Versailles Diner in Fairfield and the Montville Diner. It was a fantastic four days of greasy eating, and it always pleases me to find them all packed at 3 a.m. Why this phenomenon has not caught on anywhere else, I'll never know.

There's a chain of so-called diners here called Gunther Toody's, which is an embarrassment to the diner name. I've written them an angry letter telling them so. ... To me, in order for an eatery to be considered a diner, it must satisfy three criteria: 1) It must have spinning pies in the counter case; 2) It must be open 24 hours; and 3) It must serve breakfast for the duration of those hours.

Anything less would be uncivilized.

Other thoughts: Why can I not get a decent bagel west of the Delaware River? Also, why do I get blank expressions when I speak glowingly of a hard roll?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If you're talking diners up there, why not mention the Pompton Queen?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And the awesome thing about all of those diners, none of which I've ever been to, is that there was a short Greek guy who greeted you at the door each time and the menu was the same at every one of those places. The specials, which were run off on a mimeograph machine in 1972, are rotated into a plastic sheet in the middle of the menu depending on the day of the week, and the rest of menu features headings such as "Eggs and Omelettes," "Griddle Specialties," "From the Grill," "Triple Deckers," "Diet Delights," "Crispy Cold Platters," "Our Famous Burgers" and "Kids Korner."

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Oh goodness..

Taylor Ham and cheese on a hard roll.

Take me home. Now.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

DiStefano's hoagie
    Where's Part-timer when I need an 'Amen'?

12. EStreet,

That was merely the rotation for that particular four-day trip.

Pompton Queen would definitely have otherwise cracked the list of northern Jersey diners, which if we're going to debate the better ones overall, I think the list starts with the Bendix Diner on Route 17. ... The cat who runs the joint is blind, and when you go to pay him, he always asks what denomination of bill you are handing him. It's all on trust. Anyone who ever cheats that dude will hopefully rot in hell.

Other diner stalwarts, in addition to the ones mentioned in my previous post, include the Tick Tock on Route 3, the Peter Pank in Sayreville, the Fountainbleu in Piscataway.

Draft saved Draft deleted