1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey pizza rocks!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goalmouth, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Oh man, goalmouth, now you made me hungry and homesick. I remember there was a place just across the street from the town hall in Butler, New Jersey. I found that place totally by accident - it was the only place open on Christmas Eve, but it was great.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Dooley, tomatoes are an excellent topping. If you tell me you don't like anchovies on pizza, you are really, really going to disappoint me.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Cafe Capri on the corner of Park and Patterson Ave in East Rutherford is exceptional. Their pizza is a brick oven thin crust with fresh mozzarella. They also have a rather small Italian menu which is exceptionally good. It is also a BYOB place, so you can bring your own wine for evening.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've been there -- great stuff (despite the company)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm just not a fan of fresh 'maters. And anchovies I can take or leave.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

From the alt weekly in my old stomping grounds.
    There would be a line around the block at 4 a.m. (when the bars closed) for slices.
    Still, the best pizza I have ever had.

Sovrana
    63 N. Lake St., Albany
    Ask five people what their favorite pizza is and you’ll get five different answers, but mention Sovrana and they will all nod their heads approvingly. This family-owned business thrives in a rapidly deteriorating part of town. Tradition is the key to these pies, fresh dough that plumps up like a new feather pillow, fresh sauce made from farm fresh tomatoes direct from the owners’ garden, spices so fresh you can identify each by its aroma, and an abundance of fresh toppings, nothing from a can. And last but not least, cheese—cheese so thick and gooey it stretches longer than your arm can reach. Enough said, that’s pizza.

7. Trust NoOne

Trust NoOne Member

I've eaten waaaay to much food in both Butler and Wanaque. But truth is, there's amazing pizza in both — not to mention Bloomingdale's (I think now gone) Mamma Mia's.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Jersey chow.

Yum.

Subs, pizza, dogs, man.. it just rocks.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My favorite pizza in the world (sorry, Shakespeare's) is from this little Italian place near where I used to live. The owner's name is Dino, and he's from South Side Chicago, then moved west. He puts the cheese on the crust, then the toppings, then the sauce, which is pretty much reduced tomatoes with huge chunks of garlic and herbs. There must be a pound of cheese at least on a medium pizza.

The place is about 40 minutes from us now, but we go back sometimes. That's some good pizza.

And Ragu, if you tell Dino he's not Italian, he'll have your legs broken. :D

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I do have one NJ pizza question--has anyone here ever had pizza from Pizzaland, the place in the Sopranos opening?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That happens to be the smallest pizzeria in NJ. I'll have stop in next time I'm in North Arlington.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i've driven by it -- our man pastor has been there

Draft saved Draft deleted