1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey abolishes death penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 17, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

We can start by removing you.

Timmendequas is never leaving his cell. He can't hurt anyone else. What part of life without possibility of parole is too difficult for your blood-thirsty mind to understand?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's a hypothetical for you, Xan.

What if someone is tried and convicted and sentenced to death, and then strapped in an electric chair and fried. And they are innocent.

And you, as a resident of the state where this took place, are complicit in their death. You elected the politicians who passed the laws that made it possible. Your tax dollars bought the chair and paid the person who threw the switch.

I ask, how should someone else's need for vengeance make me complicit in a murder? Society's laws must do what is best for society. Killing a guilty man will not make his victims alive again -- thus, it cannot make the family whole. But killing an innocent man makes murderers of us all.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The interesting thing is that, IIRC, 80 percent of Jersey residents are in favor of the death penalty. We elect people to govern us, through the will of the people, and then said elected officials disregard the people.

BTW, no place of incarceration is 100 percent escape-free. So Starman is right, even if there's a 0.000000000001 chance of Timmendequas raping/killing/raping again, well, there's still that chance so long as he's alive.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, we're not old. :)

Seriously, I've never heard of anyone tipping gas station guys--or movers for that matter.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

People escape from prison. Nobody escapes from the grave.

Is that too much for your everyone-is-really-innocent lets-let-the-murderers-walk-free mind to understand?

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

We have the death penalty in Kansas, and I know of two bastards who more than amply qualify.

That said, of the inmates on death row in California, death at the hands of the state ranks third ... behind 1) old age and 2) suicide.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If someone else's cum other than Jesse Timmendequas' was deep in the vagina of this 7-year-old, such a fact would've been brought to light by now. There's no disputing he did what he did.

I still believe that the Kankas know Megan will never be back. I believe they can have some sense of closure if Timmendequas is dead.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Have to agree with Songbird on this one...

Is the death penalty a deterrent? Nope, not really.
    Does the death penalty bring the victim back to life? No.
    Does the death penalty serve true "justice?" No.

But there are some people who are so horrific (as is their crime) that the world simply is a better place without them polluting it through their simple existence.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"It's a very bittersweet ending,” Maureen Kanka said into a bank of microphones outside the courthouse a few minutes later.

"It doesn't bring back our little girl because nothing ever will. In our eyes, it's not what some would call closure. We have to live with it every day.

"Today's death verdict will ensure that he will never, ever, ever again get out to harm another child again. Megan's life was worth everything.”

http://www.capitalcentury.com/1997.html

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sure that plenty are horrible and evil, but the ones who wind up on death row are usually poor, dumb and stupid.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where did anyone say "everyone is innocent" or "let's let the murderers walk"?.

It's always interesting that whenever the issue of capital punishment comes up, someone comes up with the most prurient sordid details of a child's death to prove that, "Hey, yeah, let's fry all the bastards".

It has little to do with the debate other than getting people like Starman foaming at the mouth.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't want to let anyone walk free, Starman.
    Life without parole is just fine with me.
    I don't need to be part of legally-sanctioned murder to feel good.

Draft saved Draft deleted