1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Jersey abolishes death penalty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 17, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, Xan, I don't believe killing him will set Mr. & Mrs. Kanka free because killing him does not bring Megan back.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I don't see how it possibly could. It doesn't bring their daughter back. It doesn't change one iota what's already happened.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I know it doesn't bring Megan back. But killing him sets them free of the burden they face every single day: knowing that he's alive.

They'll never be free (as free as free can be, considering) until he's dead. That simple.

I can't put myself in the Kanka's shoes. And I know it's probably difficult for some of the parents here at SJ to dare visualize their kid could be brutally raped/killed/raped. But I also think that if what happened to Megan Kanka happened to their kid, their thought process would be a little different.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Xan, I am with Spnited on this one. There is no way that killing someone else will make me cease grieving. The parents shouldn't be faced with the question of whether someone else should live or die.

Also, Spnited is correct on tipping... no. Sorry, I just don't do it. I never saw a need to do it. I won't get upset if you do it, but I don't.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sadly the same guys pumping the gas seem to have taken over many of my favorite NJ pizza places in NJ. While they do a fine job running gas stations, pizza is not their strong suite. The tip off should have been that the soothing sounds of Sinatra had been replaced by the unsettling screams of middle eastern music.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. I might slip a $20 to the lethal injection guy if he managed to stab the needle in real hard.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Vengeance killing isn't going to make life easier for the parents nor will it stop the grieving process.

And I've never heard of anyone--anywere or at any time--tipping a gas jockey.

Do you tip grocery store cashiers, too? :)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Certainly not a whole lot of full-service stations left in the GTA. They went out with the stubby beer bottle.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some research in the form of interviews of parents whose kids were raped/killed/raped and if they felt, even if it's just one iota, but nevertheless one iota better after the animal had been put down capitally.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I doubt I am alone in tipping those guys. It isn't like they act like they are not used to someone slipping them something when they finish the transaction. It's just that I wasn't sure how many people do it versus how many don't. Also, to borrow a line from that bad Steve Martin movie, My Blue Heaven.... "I tip EVERYONE... Actually, it isn't tipping I believe in. It's overtipping."

The sad thing, is I can't really afford to be that way, especially at the moment. Now I am probably going to stiff the poor guy in the turban when I am in NJ over the holidays. And I won't be able to sleep for days, as a result. It's all your fault Spnited and JR and you old, cheap bastards.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I were the parent, I would try to kill the bastard myself. Or at least I'd want to. But I still don't think the government should be doing it.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But it ensures beyond any possibility that Timmendequas (?!) will never do anything similar to anyone else ever again.

Snuff him. Terminate him from the world. Remove another cancer from the human race.

I'd go for the life-without-parole option, if the life-without-parole is in a 6 x 6 cell, painted white walls, one toilet, one cold water faucet, no windows, no doors, food slid into a slot once a day, no books, no paper, no pencils, no crayons, no TV, no radio, no nothing. Lights go on for 12 hours a day and go off for 12 hours a day. You never see a human being again as long as you live.

Draft saved Draft deleted