1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

You da man.

And, don't forget, during any hurricane, you can have alcohol for breakfast.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

OK, I wasn't gonna do it, but ...

[​IMG]

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If Florence does make landfall and then squats in place for three or four days, it won't be pretty.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

We were supposed to arrive in Virginia Beach Monday for a weeklong vacation. Did 350 miles yesterday. Another 300 or so to go Monday.

When I got up Monday, I went for a walk. When my wife got up, she watched the weather channel. Then showered, packed texted me and told me we were going back home. Because when it comes to vacation, between the rain and the storm(s), this week is a total loss for the mid Atlantic.

Hope it’s only an inconvenience and not a catastrophe for all of you in the path. Good luck.

Fred siegle likes this.
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You made the smart decision.

Hurricane evacuation is a pain in the ass. You might get stuck in traffic going 3 mph for a few hours, perhaps many hours, and who knows where you'll find an available hotel room. When you return you might drive on roads with no working traffic signals, which makes it a bit of a free-for-all because people just fly through intersections without the slightest hesitation; this is especially dangerous at night.

What helped last year during Irma was that I put all my football tailgating supplies in the back of the SUV when we evacuated. We tailgated in the hotel parking lot every day for lunch and dinner and at least we saved a few bucks because we weren't going out to eat multiple times a day.

Good luck to all.

Hermes likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And getting out of VB is no picnic on a normal day, though I assume they'll shut off any traffic coming in via the HRBT and open both sides up to outgoing traffic. Norfolk tends to flood easily too. I wouldn't want to be anywhere east of Richmond on 64 in the next few days.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hampton Roads is divided into four evacuation zones based on danger. They’ve already issued a mandatory evacuation for zone A (low-lying coastal areas). You made the right call, MMS.

My in-laws, incidentally, are in zone B, which I assume is next on the list. I’m preparing for us to be hosting them without power this weekend (a good thing - two extra adults to entertain two bored children without electricity).

franticscribe likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’m worried about the Piedmont region too. This could be a bit similar to August 1969.

franticscribe and Big Circus like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend - who is way more patient than me - is taking care of filing the claim through the trip insurance company. Not only is it looking like a washout, but she's in emergency management and will probably be called in to work because Pennsylvania is now prepping for the storm.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Smart move by your wife.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The public library here has begun to stock and check out board games. Depending on age, that might be a help. Plus books, of course.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not looking good for Topsail Beach at all.

And heard Flo might hit Cat 5 before landfall.

Ugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted