1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. We owned an Atlantic-side Florida home in an "Zone A" flood area (meaning GTFO when a big one's coming) and almost couldn't sell it, fortunately our flood/hurricane insurers agreed to transfer the policy to the new owners. And it was a company that I had never heard of, we just wrote checks to them and crossed our fingers for a few years.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

flybynightinsurance.com
    shadysurance.com
    gotyoucoveredwinkwink.com

There's always someone willing to write a policy!

That's one of my biggest hesitations about moving beachside soon. The places are affordable, the insurance may not be.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Hey, I live at 6,700 feet and almost couldn't buy my place because of flood insurance.

As it turned out, engineers had rerouted the potentially offending creek decades ago, but the floodplain map was never adjusted. My HOA applied once to have that fixed and somehow the paperwork was screwed up (before my time). They were able to apply again, but if it was rejected a second time, applying a third time was supposed to be incredibly expensive. The flood insurance was an extra $200 or so per month for me, so, yeah, a lot. They managed to get it all resolved about two months after I moved in. I'm not sure how the people who've lived here longer than me managed to do it so long paying so much for what they didn't really need.

Sorry, not related to hurricanes in any way...

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Two lineman dead, suspect in custody in hit-and-run crash in Chipley

Three linemen killed by a hit-and-run driver. (The story says two, but the third also died.)

What the hell is wrong with people? The driver, who took off on foot, was from Tampa. No telling where the linesmen were from; they're down from all over helping the restore power to the Panhandle.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

KJIM, everything ok with your family down there?

VB

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Reading about Typhoon Yutu, which annihilated the Northern Mariana Islands ... like Michael, it blew up from a Cat 1 to a monster in basically a day's time. Though the number of named storms may or may not be increasing, it seems like incidences like these, where storms strengthen too quickly for residents in danger to respond properly, are on the rise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ener...&utm_term=.a3eb7012cb04&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Draft saved Draft deleted