1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whose tab does that one go on? Florence's or Darwin's?

expendable and Fred siegle like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Accounting can be a complicated profession.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Chalk it up to 6, as in 86.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Don't do it Moddy. There are other barrier islands that have better natural attributes making them safer bets during these storms. Check out Bogue Banks Island (Emerald Isle/Salter Path/Pine Knoll Shores/Atlantic Beach) and Holden Beach.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I would consider any area that was not flooded by this. This might be the new normal.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Recoveringdesker?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The seal level has been rising in the Atlantic at about three times the average rate. How much higher does the ocean have to go before the Out Banks disappears. The sea does not have to cover the islands, it just has to rise enough to infiltrate the water tables of the islands. I realize the answer varies by island.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. franticscribe

It really does vary a lot by island. It's not so much that they'll be inundated as it is their natural defense to these hurricanes, which are likely to continue strengthening in intensity with warmer ocean waters, goes away making the island too unstable.

If you just look at straight sea level raise, it needs to go up 6+ feet to swamp the islands. But they will become unstable much sooner than that.

That said, Topsail is one of the lowest lying islands.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll go to Florida first - the former goes to Bogue, so I'll pass on that action!

We rent oceanfront, I don't think I'd buy oceanfront. I did some looking earlier this year and the rental rates for year-round living are pretty reasonable. But this is all a pipedream right now. For the foreseeable future I'm staying here and dreaming of a beach life. Ella is 10 in November, I'd like to get her some more beach time before she takes her leave. One week a year is not enough.

I assure you I would not be one of those fools who stays when the order screams for us to GET OUT

franticscribe likes this.
  11. franticscribe

If I was looking to rent, I'd probably do Wrightsville Beach for a year. I had some friends who pulled that off while attending UNCW. Rough way to live in college

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We looked into buying in North Myrtle last year and a one-bedroom condo wasn't as much as we expected. Really interested to see what this storm does to insurance costs.

Draft saved Draft deleted