1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My little slice of heaven is supposed to get about 5 inches of rain over three days or so. Winds topping out at 30 mph.

Not sure how solid that forecast is.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

When your store loses power for a week or people can’t drive there for a week that’s sort of hurts business as well.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We had a hurricane hit in 2003 and for a couple of weeks afterward, random trucks of workers from states not ours were showing up and knocking on doors, offering tree removal and roof repair services. So yeah, that would be an interesting study. Those whose businesses benefit and those who businesses suffer.

It is indeed some scary stuff - be safe everyone.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just saw a forecast for 9-10 inches of rain in Richmond. Not good at all. We’ve already passed our normal yearly precipitation average...in August. I’m glad I don’t live anywhere near Shockoe Bottom. I fear really bad flooding there.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I can't emphasize enough that even if you don't think it's possible you could flood -- you can. Prepare early, protect your most valuable possessions, move everything higher than you can even imagine the water will rise. Then, be prepared for all the work to come.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I hope everybody here (and there) gets through this storm season safe. Sometimes people forget that your life and the lives of your loved ones are your most valuable possessions.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Now a good time to mention I have a vacation booked for North Myrtle? Check in is...Saturday.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Hope you bought the hurricane insurance.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We absolutely did. This is the last time we play Russian roulette and go in September. We'll pay the extra money and go in early August instead from now on. Fuck this.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Here's what's got me nervous. Image on the top is Hurricane Fran in 1996. Image on bottom is Hurricane Florence latest projection. Red is Cat 3, Purple Cat 4.

Fran was horrific. Not only is Florence tracking similarly, and looks like it could be stronger, but North Carolina has had a really wet summer and the ground is already saturated. Not good.

Attached Files:

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Upgraded to a Cat 4 a few minutes ago.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This looks less and less like a storm to ride out. Stock up, move your precious belongings to an upper floor, get prepared. You never know what a hurricane will do. It could stay on track, or take a bump and run north up the coast, or veer off into the North Atlantic. Your best bet is to act as though the eye of the storm will pass just to the west of you and you'll take the brunt of it. You're much better off wasting time and effort on prep you turn out not to need than finding yourself in a position where you're running around at the last minute trying to find plywood that has quadrupled in price (if you can find any) and bottled water.

Draft saved Draft deleted