1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That whole coast, since it hasn't had a big storm in a while, is going to have all kinds of buildings in places where they should not have been built in the first place. Big storm water is powerful.

I've been on Bolivar Island in Texas ten days after a hurricane. Island is low lying and flat. I'd drive the county road and the barbed wire fences would have leaves and straw in all three or four strands from where the water was six or eight feet deep all the way across the island. Developers want to build, municipalities want the tax money, so luxe houses get built on an overgrown sand bar. That's part of why Houston was hit so hard. I hope it's not as bad as it might be, but I expect it to be pretty bad.

Good luck, everyone who is in harm's way.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I beg to differ, as do the residents of Rockport, Refugio and dozens of other communities smashed to pieces by wind as the storm came ashore.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Every hurricane, by the very definition, is a wind event. Ain't it?

4. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Checking in again. This is an all-timer. I’m almost sure to lose the house. I’m 15 feet above normal water level, never been water here.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looking at the overnight news, looks like that's where the eye may hit land.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Be safe.

lakefront likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I am so sad to hear this. I hope you can get out. Be safe.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not to put words in TF's mouth ... but yes, it was a wind event. But a lot of folks seemed to let their guard down when Florence's wind strength dropped from 130 to 105. Yes, definitely a wind event, but the drop in wind speed didn't make this storm any less dangerous than it was. In fact, the way the competing weather systems slowed Florence down made it even more dangerous because it turned it into a much larger rain event than a wind event. I think that makes sense.

franticscribe likes this.
  9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Not that the wind is the biggest threat from Florence, but there ought to be a law that prohibits anyone from building within half a mile of the ocean. We never seem to learn anything from these experiences.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

But what forget is when the winds accelerate the waves get bigger. But when the wind speed drops the waves don't drop in size as rapidly.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Anyone who can't see the difference between Andrew and Harvey, and the type of damage they did, is just looking to pick a fight for a fight's sake. Which is fine. Yes, a hurricane by definition is windy. But with Florence, people were starting to be like, It's just a Cat 2, nothing to worry about. Water does a different kind of damage, as I'm afraid @RecoveringDesker is experiencing. I hope everything's okay, buddy.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle to an extent have been overbuilding for years. It’s slowed lately but was absolutely insane about 15-20 years ago, with a newer and bigger skyscraper condo popping up every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted