1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

All I'm getting is the ant races.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Yup. Its work is done.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This storm sucks. Jim Cantouri can't even get a half woody for this thing.

4. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Not really sure what you mean by that, but eastern N.C. is undergoing catastrophic damage as we speak. I’m just east of Washington, N.C., and the river here already is up several feet. My house, a quarter mile from the water, never has had water in it — not even during Floyd or Matthew — but right now the water is lapping at the foundation. And we still have 24-36 hours of this wind to go. Down in New Bern, 40 miles away, the TV station has been knocked off air because of high water. Haven’t heard of any deaths or anything, but some serious shit is going down. I’m stranded in my house, but I have a generator and fuel and food. But I could be stuck here for several days at the least, and that, my friend, sucks. F Jim Cantore and the other disaster whores like him.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Video I've seen from Topsail shows homes being damaged already - even with decreased winds. Maybe it won't be the wipeout people seemed to expect but it won't be pretty

6. franticscribe

As I mentioned a few pages back, I think, Topsail Island is particularly susceptible to hurricanes. Never should have been built up. I imagine that come daylight, we'll see some North Topsail houses in the water.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

They purposely made flood insurance in N Topsail crazy expensive to get hoping no one would build there. They still built.

There might be a pretty distinct damage line between N Topsail and Surf City, or they both might be cleaned out. This surge is pretty nasty.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

My mother's a junkie for HGTV home shows. The other day she mentioned a lot of the homes on the shows are in that area. I told her "And soon you'll be able to afford one."

9. franticscribe

I don't know about the coast, but HGTV does film a lot in the Triangle. I don't have cable and have only rarely seen the shows, but I know several people - including my sister and her family - that have participated in some of them.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Beachfront Bargain Hunt!

Must-see TV.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

People think about wind when they think about hurricanes, but the water is a huge part of the equation. Harvey happened last fucking year. It wasn't a wind event. It still did as much damage as Katrina.

Good luck riding this thing out, and I hope the damage you sustain isn't too bad in the end.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Since they are right next to each other, I can't imagine the impact will be that much different. Just got back from there, stayed in a beautiful house in North Topsail. Dang I love that area. Seriously thinking of moving there.

Draft saved Draft deleted