1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Hurricane Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We'll try again - keep all politics off this one and on the politics thread. Thanks in advance. If it is too hard for you to NOT get political on a thread about hurricanes, please log off.

That said, it is cold and rainy here. Probably a Category 0.0000003 Hurricane at this point.

Slacker likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Note: Projection by meteorologist.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Hurricanes are nothing to joke about, especially with heavy rain. Batten down the hatches all you Carolina and east coast folks.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The hockey team probably feels confused and conflicted this week.

amraeder, Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There are more parts to what @Neutral Corner posted:

This might be a good time to go visit relatives in Kansas.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're anywhere near the zone, fill your gas tanks now and load your wallets at the ATM.

The other stuff, too, but always have your car ready to go, and get that emergency cash, too. If you happen to lose power for a week (or three), you'll be glad you have cash on hand and a car with a full tank. I filled my gas tank right before a major hurricane hit my city, and that got me to and from work for, like, 29 days. All the gas stations everywhere were dry for, no lie, 28 days. And just when my car was about to run dry, I found a station that had just got some gas. Rare luck, though.

So always remember to gas up your car, and get some cash, before any weather crisis.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Neutral Corner, Vombatus and Batman like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Also, if you do drive out and evacuate, do it early. Have a plan.

If leave in the midst of it, try to think of any low spots and creeks/rivers along your route to a major highway. If covered with running water, TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN.

Try not to drive out at night. Much harder to assess dangers on the roads during the night.

And I just got this from the NWS last night: ground is saturated and high winds will topple trees. If your house is near big trees, try to stay on the lowest floor toward the most interior (center) part of your house.

Best wishes everyone.

Let’s be careful out there.

Neutral Corner and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Flooding. Some parts of NC and VA will experience catastrophic flooding. People will be cut off from supplies and medical care for weeks. They just can’t fugure out which parts of VA and NC will get it.

This is the one you stock up for.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. I thought it was an odd choice for that very reason.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is going to do wonders for small motels in places like West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee. Makes me wonder about something: There are estimates of damage and other costs. Has any economist figured in the “benefits” of disasters? Home Depot does well at such times for example. Just curious.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

URI (United Rentals) stock will go up.

Draft saved Draft deleted